UID

Does anyone know the logic behind why we in Canada have 4 and 4 day time frames when in the US it is 2 and 2 days. Why are we being treated differently and in a sense penalized

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

UID

"in Canada have 4 and 4 day time frames when in the US it is 2 and 2 days."

???

Please explain exactly what the question is. What "time frames"?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

UID

to open a UID and close a UID. We have to wait 4 days to open one and another 4 days to close it.

On .com it is 2 days to open a UID and 2 days to close it

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

UID

Why the difference?

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

UID

Really? Our USA cousins get to relist that fast. 2 and 2 time frame makes a whole lot more sense to us also. So if we understand your post correctly this only applies to US citizens but not to Canadians listing on dot com?(we always list on dot ca)

Very weird and disconcerting indeed!

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

UID

depends which site you are registered on, not where you list

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

UID

thank you!

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

UID

@dutchman48 wrote:

Does anyone know the logic behind why we in Canada have 4 and 4 day time frames when in the US it is 2 and 2 days. Why are we being treated differently and in a sense penalized

It's actually 2 and then 4 days on the U.S. site. It doesn't have anything to do with where you are registered.  I've had to wait 2 days to open a case with some items and 4 days in other situations.

I believe that it is based on which site the item is listed on.  It's possible that it is based on which site the buyer was signed into when they made the purchase but I've always thought that it was based on the listing site.

As far as the logic...my guess is that they just never got around to changing it on the Canadian site. Ideally, I would rather that it be 4 days to open a case and then 2 more days before it could be closed.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

UID

2 days to open on US site, 4 days to close.

4 days to open on Can site and 4 days to close

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

UID

Here are links to the policies

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/unpaid-item.html

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/unpaid-item.html  

I asked the folks in Toronto to look into the question and let us know

WHAT EXACTLY DETERMINES WHICH POLICY APPLIES?

Where the seller resides?

Where the seller first registered? (many Canadians are "legacy users" having registered on eBay.com)

Where the seller lists (eBay.com or eBay.ca)?

Where the item is located (as shown in listing)?

Will the two policies eventually offer the same guidelines? (meaning will .ca copy .com?)

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

UID

It can't be #1, 2 or 4 or else I wouldn't have had the 2 day option in some situations.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

UID

I have always had to wait 4 days and then 4 more days regardless of which site I listed on. It should be 2 and 2. If buyers don't pay or email for time, they should have a case filed. Most pay right away which is the way it should be

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

UID

I guess I'm special. Smiley Wink There have been many times when the 'listings eligible for unpaid item reminder" notice has come up after 2 days. I've never filed after just 2 days though. On the third day I'll send them a reminder message and then file on the 4th or 5th day. If I could close the case 2 days after that though I would be happy.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

UID

Hi everyone,

As you've all observed, there currently is a difference in the number of days a seller has to wait before an unpaid item case is opened against a buyer. The US site recently made this change to allow sellers to get out of unpaid transactions faster. We should be able to follow suit soon for eBay.ca.

In the meantime, what determines what rules apply is what site a particular listing was created on.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

UID

Thank you.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

UID

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I believe that it is based on which site the item is listed on.

That seems to be the case.  I opened a mutual cancellation this afternoon and noticed that if I had chosen the unpaid item option, I would have had to wait 2 days.  I thought .... well, that's new.  Then I noticed that that particular listing was .com.  I hope we get the option on .ca soon.  There are times when you know absolutely that the buyer is not going to pay.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

UID

I actually think the 2 day usa limit is far too short.  I recently received my first and only Unpaid item strike when I won an auction on a long weekend and was not back to check on my computer.  The seller filled at exactly 48 hours without even making an attempt to contact me.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

UID

It's quite possible that the seller had his account set up to automatically open an Unpaid Item Claim 48 hours after auction end.  Large volume sellers likely find that it's easier than keeping track of individual transactions.  I don't do that ... I have no problem monitoring auction end times and following up on pending payments.  Also, I always take into consideration whether it is a weekend or a busy holiday time or even the buyer's track record, insomuch as I can determine.

There are also those who believe that everyone is electronically connected 24-7, so after an auction you're expected to pay by cell phone or tablet or laptop, whatever, even if it's in the middle of your camping trip or on your fishing boat.  It's absurd. 

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

UID

Hello ebay employee....probably thanking your lucky star you were not part of the 2400 axed out this week....lol

So let me take a guess as far as time frame for this to happen.

Same week Canadian shopping cart gets fixed then expect this policy to follow shortly thereafter....LOL! Holding my breath!

Message 19 of 19
latest reply