UPS Fedex or Purolator, WE NEED these added to the options for shipping when making a listing

Can anyone tell me if they have heard of any of the 3 couriers in Canada being added to the list of shipping options we can select when creating an auction on ebay.ca?

right now as all of you know we only have Canadapost services to choose from, but their price gets a little expensive when you get into heavy or large items.

that is why we need to have one (or all) of the major courier companies in Canada added to the list we can offer to the buyer.

Ebay.com has USPS, UPS and FedEx as options to have calculated shipping when they create a listing.

I have been calling and messaging ebay for almost 10 years now on adding a courier to the mix, but they keep saying it is up to UPS, FedEx or Puro to add themselves.  I called all 3 and they say it is up to ebay.

it seems pretty easy because ebay.com already has ups integrated into the ebay world, so how come ebay.ca can't do the same with UPS or the others.

please help push this issue, trust me, just do some tests on larger items from your location to the opposite side of the country and even USA to see that canadapost is just more expensive and slower delivery time vs the couriers.   

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

UPS Fedex or Purolator, WE NEED these added to the options for shipping when making a listing

I have been calling and messaging ebay for almost 10 years now on adding a courier to the mix, but they keep saying it is up to UPS, FedEx or Puro to add themselves.  I called all 3 and they say it is up to ebay.

That's funny....funny because both are wrong. It's up to those incompetent people at Pitney-Bowes who are the ones who need to make the effort. Since day one eBay have pretty much absolved themselves of all shipping related matters and leave it completely up to PB.

I'm convinced that PB has blackmail material that keeps their eBay contract going. No other logical reason for putting up with the garbage service. I was SHOCKED when they re-upped the agreement 4 or 5 years ago.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

you can take your item to fedex or purolator or dhl in person and ship that way.i would never use fedex being they charge your customer brokerage fees that will guarantee you wont get repeat buyers and i would not be surprized if you got your item back with not so nice fb,as far as the others go i have no idea if they charge extra fees,think ill just stick with can post

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

usa buyers can buy items up to $800 duty free, so there would be no charges.

I have been shipping with Purolator and UPS to the USA for over 10 years, (not because of ebay offering it on checkout)

but the problem is the item isn't the same price to New York as it is to Los Angeles

ebay.com only lets Canadian sellers put 1 shipping price in (no access to shipping calculations because we don't have a valid zip code)

so it was great when canadapost was added to ebay.ca, it offered us some easy way to list items and do all the calculations for us so the buyer sees instantly what it costs, and we don't have to do any work figuring out a quote for each destination zip/postal code or country.

now I sold an item today, canadapost expedited parcel was $24.71 shipping and 4-7 days delivery from NS to New Jersey

I took the same item and used my Purolator account, I think I am on the lowest discount level (volume down at the moment) and it was $19.38 for the same box and will be delivered in 3 days !!!!!

it is way way under $800 ($150 acutally) so there will not be any extra charges.

funny thing is Purolator will hand it off to UPS when it hits the QC sorting station and UPS will make final delivery (a deal I think Purolator has for all US bound shipments) 

I have been using this for years and not one issue, what I am charged by Purolator for the shipment is always what I pay when my weekly invoice comes, and not 1 customer has ever had to pay any receiving fees (or else like you said, I would surely hear about it)

Canadapost is great for small items to USA and around the world, but in Canada and for larger items to the USA, they are a complete rip off.  too high $$ and double the time for Puro/UPS

I agree when you are in the limits of duty to the receiver, courier fees get nuts, but as USA is my largest buying customers, I know my items are duty free under $800  ($200 previously) and I have never had 1 issue in over 10 years.

the only issue is I am unable to add UPS - FedEx or Purolator to the list of shipping options that the customer can choose and that can be automatically calculated based on my sending postal code to receiving postal/zip code and weight.

yes we can use canadapost for these and it works just great.

but it is time to catch up with the ebay.com site and offer us more than just the mail for shipping.

ebay.com has USPS, UPS and FedEx (and a few more if I remember)

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@recped wrote:

That's funny....funny because both are wrong. It's up to those incompetent people at Pitney-Bowes who are the ones who need to make the effort. Since day one eBay have pretty much absolved themselves of all shipping related matters and leave it completely up to PB.

I'm convinced that PB has blackmail material that keeps their eBay contract going. No other logical reason for putting up with the garbage service. I was SHOCKED when they re-upped the agreement 4 or 5 years ago.

I just don't get why they don't see the good in this, the more options people have the more everyone wins, ebay gets more sales, we get more sales, the courier gets more shipments. 

someone is asleep at the wheel where ever it is , ebay, puro or PB. 

everytime I call ebay I just get some idiot that just reads the help pages and really never understands what I'm asking.

I say look at ebay.com, they have UPS as an option for service and it calculates the shipping, we in Canada need that exact thing, that is already working on ebay.com  they somehow can't see that.  oh well, waited 10 years, whats another 10

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

We have fedex in our shipping options when listing on dot ca.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Yes but only for flat rate. Not calculated.
Works on some items where Los Angeles and new York are close enough in price but large items can be 40 to 80 dollars more to ship to LA.
I ship 68x52x33 cm boxes.
It's not fair to put LA price for new York.
So this is where the calculations come in handy.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Calculated can be bad. All the errors that come with it and you still get charged 10% fvf on it so you loose in the end. At least with flat rate you can charge a bit more to cover the fvf on shipping.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Never had an issue with canadapost. Calculate the over the counter price and PayPal labels give you 15% off expedited so it's good
They have a % adj you can do.
Would be same with others.
And I talked to the rep today at FedEx. They have all the tools ready but ebay won't work with them or contact them
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

CP is easy for PB to use. Vast majority of mailing is done with CP. To add all of the couriers, for the tiny amount of volume, would never be cost effective.

It is not jus simply "adding" simple choices, the couriers have a myriad of shipping options. PB would have to set up systems with each, separately. Separate payment systems.

It was ten years ago that a PayPal rep guaranteed me that they were working with CP on a guaranteed barcode system for across the border at competitive rates. I am still waiting.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Oh I know. But they think it would be small volume.
My items would be 90% courier and 10% CP
Mainly because CP IS TOO EXPENSIVE for the speed
I can send a box from Ns to NJ usa
CP $24.38 3 to 5 days
FedEx with e ay rate $19.18 and 2 days guaranteed.
We are being gouged by CP every single time.
They are only good for overseas small items.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@ezrecreation wrote:
CP $24.38 3 to 5 days

Then, why is it cheaper for us to ship to the US than it is for them to ship to us?

Photobucket
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@ezrecreation wrote:
CP $24.38 3 to 5 days

Then, why is it cheaper for us to ship to the US than it is for them to ship to us?

That really depends on the size of the item and if you are using a comparable service.  For many of the items that I sell, the cost to the U.S is $5.70 or $8.36 without tracking.  The cost from the US to here for that same size and service would be under $4.  

if I wanted tracking the cost for that same package from here would be $14+ through PayPal or $16+ at the counter.  The cost from the US would be $9.50 with tracking.  

A 2lb package from Alberta to California  would be $16.65 without tracking and $18-$21 with tracking.

The cost from the US would be $14.50 with tracking

Message 13 of 13
latest reply