Unpaid item.

I have a buyer with great feedback who has not paid for his item after five days, and has yet to communicate with me. I have 2 questions,

1) Does a UPI claim show up on feedback?

2) If it does not how can I tell if a buyer has any of these claims?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Unpaid item.

No --UPI Strikes are kept private

BUT

you can set your Seller Preferences to automatically Block bidders with 2 or more UPI Strikes in the past year.

You won't even see their bids.

My personal policy is to send a polite note on Day Three asking if the customer needs help with his Paypal account (not that I can do anything about it, but it encourages communication).

About half the time the slow payer coughs up. I leave positive feedback and mail.

The other half stay silent or ask for a cancellation.

I open the UID on Day Four and close it 96 hours later.

The deadbeat is added to my Blocked Bidder List and I relist the item.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

No, it doesn't show up in feedback and there is no way for you to tell if a buyer has any strikes.  You can prevent a buyer with 2 or more strikes from buying your items if you set up your buying preferences to block them.

my account - site preferences  - buyer requirements

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

All buyers have great feedback. The feedback forum rules are set so that a seller cannot leave anything except positive feedback for a buyer. Anyone who does is in violation of the rules and that feedback can be removed as quickly as one calls Customer Service.

If your items are Buy It Now, you can require Immediate Payment. That way, less of your time and resources are wasted with managing Unpaid Item strikes. One drawback, however, is that if you stipulate Best Offer or Cash Payment on Local Pickup you can't also require immediate payment. 

It is also interesting to periodically check your Buyer Requirements Activity Log to see what items are drawing in the users who are halted/prevented from purchasing your items due to auto-blocks like the Unpaid Item strike limit. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the input. I don't mind waiting a few extra days for someone to pay, as long as the buyer lets me know that is what's needed.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Is this about the Deadpool comic? 

I worry most about those high-ticket items when it comes to Unpaid Items. For my own product line, I selected Immediate Payment Required for the most expensive and hardest-to-find items that I sell. Those were frequently the ones that people would buy and then not pay for. Eyes bigger than their wallets. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I guess you are right. I decided to read through his feedback comments and it appears he has 13 UPI in the last year. Does Ebay at some point step in and suspend an account over this?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I certainly thought so. Thirteen seems a rather high number. Most of those could have been prevented by the auto-block setting on 'stop buyers with more than two UPI strikes per 12 months'.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks to the advice I just set that up.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply