Update on Federal Court ruling involving Canada Revenue Agency

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Dear Community,

We have a further update on the Federal Court Decision involving Canada Revenue Agency and eBay Canada.

"In February 2008, I posted an update on the Federal Court of Canada's 2007 decision that may require eBay to release certain customer information regarding Canadian PowerSellers during the years 2004 and 2005 to the Canada Revenue Agency. I would like to update you again on developments.

At eBay, we work hard to protect the privacy of our users, and we will continue to fight to protect your privacy. As I posted in February, we are appealing the court decision requiring eBay to disclose customer information. That appeal is currently underway, and will continue.

We requested a “stay” of the Court's decision that would prevent eBay from having to release the requested user information to the Canada Revenue Agency while we await the court’s decision on our appeal.

Unfortunately, we recently learned that our request for a stay has been denied. Consequently, despite our appeal being still underway, eBay has been ordered by the Federal Court of Canada to provide information on PowerSellers from 2004 and 2005. This is not the outcome that we wanted and we are disappointed with the ruling.

We are currently exploring our legal options. As yet, no information has been released to the Canada Revenue Agency. We will advise affected members by email if we are forced to release their information. Protecting our users' privacy is of the utmost importance, and we continue to vigorously defend your rights by appealing the original ruling.

We strenuously object to being forced to release our members’ information before that appeal has been decided.

We once again remind sellers that they are responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all local laws and regulations relating to their activities online. As well, a change in PowerSeller status at this time will not alter our information disclosure requirements.

As more information becomes available, we will keep you updated.

Regards,

Scott Shipman
Senior Counsel
Global Privacy Practices"

Miriam
Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0