VALUABLE ANTIQUES, Is eBay the right format to sell them in?

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
We started our eBay business selling brand new musical instruments. Our intention is to continue to introduce new product lines (high-end camera equipment, electronics etc).

We have access to a considerable amount of valuable antiques and are wondering if eBay is a good place to market true valuable antiques. I am not talking about a 100 year old medicine bottle worth $30. These antiques would be more in the $5,000 to $50,000 range and not bottles or plates.

Has anyone sold-high end antiques through eBay of this quality ($5,000 to $50,000 )and what sort of bidding response is there?

I know that we will research this further by watching auctions of similar items before we delve into this new line. I just dont want to waste time , money and effort if eBay doesnt attract buyers in this area.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

firedept10
Community Member
amberwoodottawa,

Hard to say. I follow the jewelry categories fairly close and very rarely see items of this price sell. That would have to mean extremely high quality antique. Just does not happen in jewelry. I do not follow to many other categories. Hopefully some of the other sellers in different categories can help in the area they sell in.

Don
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Amber - I can only imagine the hell gates that would be opened up, trying to sell Antiques to people who can't see them and/or touch them. You would be opening yourself up to a world of grief - with people who are impossible to please.

I would imagine that the kind of folks who can afford and who are interested in high end antique items, would be more inclined to purchase them from a reputable auction house or antique dealer. If I were you, I would look into a good auction house. I can't even imagine the shipping of such items and then you would have to accept escrow. Not worth the hassle, because I agree with Don - you surely won't get the bucks you'd like to get, on ebay!!

IMHO Jackie...
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
I guess I see automobiles selling on eBay, both regular used cars and exotics. I have even seen boats and properties sold.
I sell musical instruments with brands that no one has ever heard of as they are custom branded instruments and yet no one can hear the sound of the instruments or feel them or even tell the grains of the wood until they
receive them.
I think your comments are well-founded and I am very appreciative of the time you took to answer me.
I have my sheet labelled "Why I should" and "Why I shouldn't" and your suggestions will be added to it (Its better than flipping a coin).

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
Amber, why not check the Antique chat board here on ebay. They can give you some advice. Just a word of caution though........I used to hang around over there a bit a few years ago, and some of them are VERY nasty peeps. I mean VERY NASTY!!! LOL

A couple come to mind but I'm not sure if they still post over there but I'd hazard a guess that they do. Most of them are very helpful though!!
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

thebidwatcher
Community Member
I have seen some very high priced stuff sell on eBay and there is no reason why it is out of the question.

First of all, you are tapping into a world audience so it is much more open than just local retail. There are lots of ways to protect yourself financially, including escrow and wire transfers, since the amounts probably exceed PayPal and BidPay limits.

If you sell musical instruments now, you probably take great pictures and write good copy. It is not a great leap to high end antiques. If you sold air fresheners right now I would say you were at higher risk.

You could try one or two items that you own already and do a test. Try one with a reasonable starting price and a solid reserve and the other with a higher price and no reserve. Make sure there are lots of pictures, written details and measurements. Make your terms professional but friendly - not threatening.

Lastly, I would include in the terms the option of local pick-up, saving the buyer insurance and customs problems. Maybe they have friends or relatives near your city. This will make your high price item more attractive.

Good luck!

Lisa
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
amberwoodottawa

Please email me
Message 7 of 7
latest reply