Vintage Patterns - Knitting - Crocheting - Sewing - What to Buy OR Sell

Okay - I see eBay/Liveworld has been cutting the valuable threads here - ones that have helped us as buyers and sellers. That information is long gone but hopefully we can re-create some of those threads for the benefit of everyone interested.

I'm not an expert in this subject but I have specialized in selling vintage needlework patterns and items since I began on eBay 4 years ago. So here are just a few tips that may be helpful to some.

SEWING
Collectible and saleable sewing patterns need not be very old to be sought after by the collector and profitable to the seller. But the condition is important and if you feel you don't have the time to check over each pattern envelope, don't expect to reap the rewards of high bids as some have.

When looking - check garage sales, thrift stores and flea markets - I usually prefer to pay 10 to 25 cents per pattern or maybe a dollar or two for a box of them, which usually yields one or more good finds, but leaf through them first....nothing but current patterns that have been used are generally a waste of time and money.

Envelopes needn't be in great condition BUT if mousey chewed or piddled on, avoid...ripped and/or taped is fine as long as all the pieces are inside, but if it's old (1940's or earlier) it's worth the risk and I'll buy it. I've sold many patterns which were missing a piece or two because the experienced seamstress can usually duplicate the pieces if the pattern is one she wants.

Factory folded is great - meaning the pattern is still folded neatly inside the envelope, flat and untrimmed and all there. If the pieces have been trimmed you can tell if they are all there by looking at the paper instruction sheet inside and matching the pattern pieces to the letters or numbers (12 pieces 1-12 or A-L etc.)

Some of the best sellers are for doll clothes especially from the 1960's and earlier. Doll collectors want clothes from the era their dolls were made and collect these patterns even if a few pieces are missing as most patterns offer several outfits per envelope.

Look for a date either on the instruction sheet at the bottom, front or back...or on the envelope, usually at the top of the back or along the side. The price can be an indication too as most of these will be 25 cents to 50 cents originally whereas today's patterns are several dollars each.

Barbie doll fashions are very saleable as are women's fashions from the 40's (halter tops, swing coats, purses and hats etc.), some children's fashions are but mainly those for babies. I've rarely found men's fashions to be worth the effort to sell. Costume patterns are iffy as profit makers unless sold in lots of several to make the shipping worthwhile to the buyer.

Transfer patterns (those with tissue sheets inside with patterns you iron onto fabric or linens and then embroider) are very collectible especially if they are ones for days of the week (7 patterns one for each day and usually of an animal or child doing a daily chore), Mexican scenes, Dutch scenes, animorphic (sp? -fruits/vegetables with faces)etc.....never found much enthusiastic interest in the alphabets/monograms ones so I usually avoid them unless very old.

Handle any tissue pattern very carefully as they may be fragile if stored in hot or damp areas in the past.

When listing give a good close scan of the envelope and if possible the inside pieces (stacked together, not individually) - mention the date and any information from the back of the envelope about contents (name of the doll the pattern is for, date if available, if counted to make sure all pieces are there etc.) - do a search for similar patterns on eBay and see if others are having any success listing the same or similar ones and whether they are getting counter hits and/or bids.

Be realistic in your starting price - I've seen so many sellers starting a single pattern at $4.95US and higher "because it's old" - lots of things are "old" but that doesn't make them worth anything if the buyers are looking for a more reasonable starting bid, especially if condition isn't factory folded and extremely good. And if you can sell 2 or more patterns in one lot it will be more attractive to bidders than just one.

Okay these are just a few things to look for in the sewing area. Next time I'll try and cover the Knitting/Crocheting area of pattern collecting. Any questions or personal observations of your own?? Add them here.

Lyd
Message 1 of 219
latest reply
218 REPLIES 218

loonette01
Community Member
This has been very informative, thank-you. I look forward to your next post on knitting and crochet.:-)
Message 2 of 219
latest reply

Thank you for reposting this, Lydia
I had emailed you about a couple of patterns that I had.
You said something about vintage patterns not having markings. I lost the email. How do you describe that again?
Message 3 of 219
latest reply

Thanks Sherri - crochet and knitting patterns are similar as to where to look for them - thrift shops, lawn sales etc. - always check through them to make sure all pages are there since a few I bought looked nice from the outside but were missing the centre few pages of instructions. Check again for water damage, mousey chews or piddle (usually looks like that psychiatrist butterfly ink blot image only sandy brown in color)...taped spines are okay but give a little sniff to make sure there are no musty odors from damp storage.

Pattern books (15 to 50 pages usually, magazine style) from the 30's to 50's are collectible, especially sock knitting patterns, lace knitting, shawls, and novelty items. 1930's knitted fashions for women are very collectible too both for the graphics and the instructions.

I generally make a lot of 2 or 3 sock knitting pattern books to give value for the shipping dollar since that many can usually ship within Canada for the $2.40 or to the US for $5.10 surface small packet insured - or faster for $5.60 airmail oversized.

Retro and mod fashions, especially in crochet are all the rage now - ponchos, hot pants, bikinis, swimsuits, shawls and mini dresses. Even just a single pattern leaflet but still I like to make a lot of 2 or 3 and it seems to work bringing in the bidders.

Baby knitting and especially crochet patterns are very saleable (there seems to be less out there for the crocheters so they zero in on them quite quickly). Christening dress patterns (because they can be made shorter for dressy occasions) usually always sell.

Annie's Attic patterns especially the older, out of print ones from the 80's and 90's - and especially ones with crocheted little girl dresses (I've had single pattern leaflets of these sell for $30.00 + US many times).

Just a few things to look for in these areas.

Lyd
Message 4 of 219
latest reply

If you mean sewing patterns Gloria - there are 2 types - the printed patterns (ones with the words and seam allowances etc. in black on the tissue pattern pieces) - and then there are the older ones - perforated, unprinted pattern pieces.

Printed patterns usually come in large sheets and you trim out the pieces you want to use.

Perforated patterns from the 40's and earlier (there are some from the 50's too I think but not many) - are in each pattern piece, not on a sheet - they have a perforated letter or number in the tissue and the notches are indented so you can see where to match the pattern pieces when sewing together.

Every pattern should have the envelope if possible, an instruction sheet or sheets (check to make sure all sheets are there if it says (1 of 5 etc.) - and factory folded tissue pattern sheets or individual tissue pattern pieces.

I always check and then write my findings on a post-it note and stick that on each envelope. Then when I'm ready to list I don't have to rely on my memory and end of rechecking it.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 219
latest reply

pukmis
Community Member
bump
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.
- Augusten Burroughs
Message 6 of 219
latest reply

feedback-police
Community Member
Maybe I should list an old knitting pattern book that is around here somewhere (Beehive). Must have a tea cozy and a pair of socks in it (don't they all?).
Message 7 of 219
latest reply

feedback-police
Community Member
"Oh, F-P, not the rare $1,000. tea cozy issue! Where did you ever find it?"
Message 8 of 219
latest reply

feedback-police
Community Member
I wish. Instead I pile up one box of junk on top of another.

Best purchase I have made so far is 50 pieces of one pattern of topaz yellow depression glass (not amber, topaz).
Message 9 of 219
latest reply

pukmis
Community Member
I seam to be bumpin'
- Augusten Burroughs
Message 10 of 219
latest reply

pukmis
Community Member
knit one ...purl two...bump
- Augusten Burroughs
Message 11 of 219
latest reply

Lmao Annie!!!
Message 12 of 219
latest reply

pukmis
Community Member
- Augusten Burroughs
Message 13 of 219
latest reply

cabbages.n.kings
Community Member
I certainly agree that costume patterns are iffy. Possible exceptions are those which are licensed, eg. m&m's candy, Disney, muppets, etc. as they can be of interest to collectors of candy, Disney, etc more so than for sewers.
Message 14 of 219
latest reply

vintagemodo
Community Member

Bumping this very important thread. I haven't been checking out the the Collectibles Board ever since they started deleting all this great information. Imagine my delight to check in today and discover the return of this Vintage Pattern thread

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO LYDIA.....I sure wish I had saved the original one, but I won't make the same mistake again.

Maureen
Photobucket
Message 15 of 219
latest reply

pukmis
Community Member
I am bumping cos I can!!!
- Augusten Burroughs
Message 16 of 219
latest reply

loonette01
Community Member
Lydia;
I cannot for the life of me find the thread where you talked about crochet patterns. Is it still around? Maybe I dreamt the whole thing? I have been pretty tired lately! I am also curious about weaving patterns and macrame....
-Sherri:-)
Message 17 of 219
latest reply

loonette01
Community Member
Oh-My-Gosh!!
Its a few posts up! I'm so embarrassed! I need a nap.:8}
Message 18 of 219
latest reply

my_name_is......thud!