Violet Keene Canadian Portarait Photographer. Does anyone know about her ?

This morning I purchased an amazing Framed Cabinet Card  (Approx 20" X 18") signed by Violet Keene

I have been using the Net to get Info but so far it's been limited

From the  research I have been able to do so far I found that Violet Keene was the manager of Eaton's College Street Portrait Studio  ( I believe she was involved with  Eatons From The Late 1920's on) and was an accomplished and well known Portrait Photographer who photographed the Governor General  Aldous Huxley, and George Bernard Shaw.among others. Her works were exhibited across North America and Europe

This photograph portrays a  Ceramic Doll dressed as a bride Looking into a Framed Full Length Mirror with another Doll (Bridesmaid?) Posed behind her adjusting her headdress ( Iam not sure if that is the right term)

I believe these dolls are Eatons Beauty Dolls

It's an incrediblly done and beautiful Photograph and is one of the nicest I have seen in along time

I'm only at the begining stage of my research of her and  will be contacting places such as Canadian Women Artists History Initiative Documentation Centre, QCLibrary and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada, ON National Gallery of Canada, ON - Library and Archives Art Gallery of Ontario - Edward P. Taylor Research Library and Archives University of Toronto Libraries, ON

Wont be able to contact these places til business hours and I fully expect it may take awhile to get info about her from these places

Just wondering if anyone knows about her before hand even if only a little

Any info would be greatly appreciated The more I can find out beforehand  the better I can focus on the right questions to ask about her and the resources I will need to  be able to find out more about her

Thanks in advance

weavers

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I met Violet when I was creating an exhibition about Canadian women photographers for the London (Ontario) Regional Art Gallery. Violet's mother, Minna Keene, was included in the exhibition.  I visited Violet in her home in Oakville, Ontario  to learn about her mother's photography.  

Violet must have been about 80 when I met her. I think she died in 1987. She was a delightful,  friendly person.  Her married name was Perinchef. 

I didn't realize that Violet Keene exhibited her work widely. Her mother was  well known and the first woman to be admitted as a fellow of the Royal Photographic Sociiety. 

The image that you found  by Violet Keene does sound interesting. There were few people still doing cabinet cards in the 20's.

Violet Keene was a member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Her membership is listed in the Toronto Meeting. 

You have rekindled my interest in the Keenes, Who was the Governor General that Violet photographed?  Maybe Vincent Massey - 1952-1959. I think Violet was also a cartoonist. 

Would love to know more. Please post, if you follow up. Thanks. And if you come across, Canadian women photographers who worked before 1880, I am always interested. 

Laura Jones

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I am not sure which Governor General  she photographed The info I have been able to find out about her so far mentions she photographed one but does not say who

Right now I am waiting to hear more about her but the info has not arrived yet

I find it strange that there is not more about her on the Net From the  sites I have found about her the info is  very  limited  and ousually is only a paragraph or so  They say she was a very influential Canadian Photographer but info is sparse

Thank-you for responding the info about her being a Quaker and the fact she may have beena cartoonist is interesting and something I did not know

She has really peeked my interest

I passed on another photo about the same size that was of a actual Bride with her signature on it (Silly Me)

My hope is that I will be able to get that one down the road   I dont have contact info for the people who had it but they have my name and number

Hopefully they will call me about other items they are supposed to have

Here's a scan of the photo I have

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

2015_deen
Community Member

Hello Weaver

I happened to see your post on edbay Canada last night.  I have a portrait of my Mother taken by Violet Keene in the early thirties.  The signed photo was given to my Mother by Miss Keene beautifully framed in an unusual metal frame.  She enclosed a card signed "With my compliments....Violet Keene".  She apparently used a copy of my Mother's picture in her portfolio.  I recently became curious about the photographer and was quite surprised to find out she was indeed a very prominent female photographer in her time.  

A couple of years have since passed since you posted on ebay and I'm wondering if you had received any interesting facts regarding Violet Keene. 

Deena

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Violet Keene(Perrinchief) was my landlady at 422 Lakeshore Rd., Oakville, Ontario, during the years1970 - 1973. Her studio and residence were next door. She was still active as far as I know, there was a sign on the road advertising the photo studio. By coincidence I was employed at the local school board as a media technician/photographer. The tenant before me, was longtime MacLeans magazine Art Director, Nick Burnett. I wonder if our professions appealed to Violet, she didn't raise the rent in the four years that I was there.  I saw her occasionally,  working in her garden with rakes and shovels. Had I known more at the time I might have been able to see the studio, there were probably some great old plate cameras and other historic photo items there. 

John

Message 5 of 5
latest reply