WHAT THE F*********************************

Hey guys.

I had some supplies shipped to me via FedEx. It wasn't a lot of stuff, the declared value on the FedEx customs forms was around $19. Converted into Canadian would be a little over $20. Thought I'd be okay...

Got a letter from FedEx this morning regarding my delivery. The actual converted value into Canadian funds is $20.01 and they are charging me $2.67 GST + $10 advancement fee + tax on the advancement fee.

What.

I'm not getting my numbers mixed up... The letter says.. Exactly this...

G.S.T. Rate 39.0 Val for Curr Conv .01 Value for Duty .01 Value for Tax .01 GST 2.67

Is there anything I can do about this?! ARGHHHHHH

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Refuse the shipment? Couriers do their own brokering. They charge regardless of the amount involved. Couriers are thieves. I personally hate them.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Would have been about the same if sent by USPS and checked by customs.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Can't refuse it. They delivered the package, and then I get this letter in the mail almost 2 weeks later stating that I have customs amounts due.

Really.. For one cent... I thought amounts have to be rounded down?! What if I want to pay in cash?! LOL

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Call CBSA and ask what was the exact CBSA conversion rate on the day of entry, just to make sure you cannot squeze that $0.01. If yes, then you can dispute the charges.

Register with Fedex Brokerage and put credit card on file. You will still pay tax, but this will save you $10.

Btw. remember this? http://community.ebay.ca/topic/Buyer-Central/Brokerage-Fees/3000007634?#msg3000049468

Obviously, if you want to continue using Fedex, write the $10 off and setup that brokerage account. Fedex is clumsy, delays shipments, looses parcels from multi-package shipments and then finds them 3 days later in Anchorage, Alaska. They deliver to someone else across town and their stuff to me and then come back in the afternoon to switch it, they have billing issues sometimes billing GST sometimes HST even though the business account # is recognized. But if you don't sweat the small stuff, overall good service.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Forgot about that thread, thanks.

I only used FedEx because the value was so low. Didn't think I'd get screwed over by one cent. I may just bite the bullet on this..

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Sometimes you just have to, it good to have Fedex on your side

Two weeks ago I was shopping with a supplier and left the cart open over few days before checking out. Two lines were increased by 70% by the time I checked out. Did not review every single line when checking out so I just paid the amount and realized only when received and adding to inventory. Both lines were about $90-$100 before price increase and I could have them for 20% more from another supplier I was making order to the same day 😞 Nothing I can do, it was my fault not reviewing prices when confirming order.

When running business sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. Make sure the losses are less, $10 is good price for a lesson. Over the years I spent thousands on lemon products, services and software I ended up not using, worthless part time employees that I ended up redoing or fixing their work and of course some purchasing mistakes like this one.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I do not think you got charged for one cent. I think these are basic charges regardless of shipment value.

This parcel would not have been stopped by CP or Customs.

Never use a courier across international borders unless all charges are pre-paid.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I do not think you got charged for one cent. I think these are basic charges regardless of shipment value.

This parcel would not have been stopped by CP or Customs.

Never use a courier across international borders unless all charges are pre-paid.

It was the one cent (2 cents actually), custom brokers use the official rate, they have to there is no choice in the matter. If it's 1 cent over it might as well be a million dollars over. The rule is CA$20 or more and a formal customs entry MUST be done.

Postal shipments are at the customs inspectors discretion and as we all know they usually ignore anything of low value even if it's well over the $20 supposed limit.

If the exchange rate had made it CA$19.99 there would have been no charges.

What you can do is not pay the FedEx invoice, they won't chase you they will simply re-invoice the shipper for the unpaid amount. Won't make your relationship with that supplier very pleasant.

This is why on the US board a post that starts "I shipped to Canada via FedEx" always goes the same way. Different from the "I shipped to Canada using UPS" threads because for those either the buyer is bent out of shape or the package gets refused (UPS collect the fees before they hand over the goods).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

So then the last parcel I got from the US was FedEx. Well, I didn't actually get the parcel. I was "away", two attempted deliveries, they sent it back. Then, THEN, they send me a bill for $43? File 13 on that one.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply