WHY? sellers gave positive to buyer who didn't pay?

I'm fairly new to selling; perhaps I'm missing something that some of you more experienced sellers can enlighten me about, please. I don't understand this ... I listed an auction ... a buyer

won the auction ... didn't pay ... I sent 4 emails and 1 invoice ... still no response. I looked at his/her feedback and I see the last three people that left feedback for this buyer said that he/she didn't pay ... yet they still gave a positive rating. 

I don't get it. can someone please help me understand this.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: WHY? sellers gave positive to buyer who didn't pay?

With so many sellers (3) posting feedback did not pay in the past Month (could be days, who knows with the new hidden date policy on feedback), it could be possible the buyer had a family emergency or even they are hospitalized.

Looks to me that something unexpected happened to the buyer or their friends or family. Hopefully, not tragic to the buyer.

PS All that feedback about not paying is not allowed by sellers. It will be removed if the buyer requests it.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers.

Stupid sellers leave negative comments with positive feedback instead. Stupid because there is a much better system in place, because most sellers can'r read feedback before the purchase (we use Fixed Price or Buy It Now listings), and eBay will remove the feedback and give the seller a Violation if the buyer complains.

The correct procedure is to open an Unpaid Item Dispute, give the deadbeat a Strike, and get your fees back.

Then go to you Seller Preferences and set up and automatic Block against bidders with Strikes . You mightt also set up a Block against bidders who do not have active Paypal accounts. 

In the case you cite, if those three sellers had given the Deadbeat Strikes, the buyer would have found it very difficult to bid and may have given up in disgust. In fact, eBay might already have ended his membership for being a deadbeat. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I would not call the buyer a Deadbeat. To me it looks like something happened to the buyer. This case looks different than most.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I still have the buyer feedback profile up. Has 94 feedback and a history of not paying over the past year on eBay sprinkled through they feedback history as a buyer. So deadbeat it is.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

hmmm...like I said, I'm really new to being a seller. What do you mean by:

**PS All that feedback about not paying is not allowed by sellers. It will be removed if the buyer requests it.**

That seems really unfair! Does that mean a buyer can decide not to pay for an item and the seller is not allowed to make note of that? How else are other sellers suppose to be aware of flakey buyers? Oh boy ... I see I have a lot to learn. ha ha

Thanks,

Sandy

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Also ... I forgot to mention that yes, I did open an unpaid item dispute. thanks again for all of the feedback.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The seller's way is to file the UID, Unpaid Item Dispute. If every seller did that, those buyers would be removed.

What good would a neg to a buyer do when the vast majority of sales are BIN? You would only see AFTER they bought. Tell me, what would you do?

The reason negs to buyers were eliminated, was that it would turn into an "Oh yeah, says you" neg fest.

They are called "false positives", a positive with a negative remark. They are not allowed. Sellers caught doing that flirt with being suspended. Sellers that do that are immature to start with. They are making it personal.

Keep business and personal separate,

Photobucket
Message 8 of 8
latest reply