Ways to avoid Post Office Line-Ups? Are there any?

finells
Community Member
Hello Again,

I know we have all caused the dreaded post office line up. You know the one where you turn around and there are 15 angry people behind you waiting to mail letters to their grandparents.

I tried to get home pick up but my packages do not qualify as they are too small.

Any ideas, suggestions, or methods that have worked for you in the past?
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Ways to avoid Post Office Line-Ups? Are there any?

Angelo,

I got into a *HUGE* argument at one post office over two DVDs that I was shipping. These were two buyers who paid extremely late and so I didn't go to my "favourite" local post office, but rather one that was convenient for where I was. DVDs packed in mailers *BARELY* make it through the slot as is...this woman wouldn't let me ship it because it just barely squeaked through. At this point, I'd mailed out hundreds of DVDs this way without any coming back to me, so I knew it was fine. I had to get the manager of the post office (who was there, luckily for me) to get this idiot to ship it as letter mail.

Argh. Canada Post sometimes. No competitive alternatives for letter mail unfortunately.
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
If it won't fit throught he slot, just put stamps on it. I get away with up to 3 cms.

Rob
Message 22 of 27
latest reply

The outlet with the flexable scale also has a "defective" slot.

Of course I've seen them give other customers a hard time so I don't think it's the general policy. One thing about independent postal franchise outlets, they only make money on selling postage so if you are a big buyer of postage they will go the extra mile (or extra grams / centimetres). Real post office employees on the other hand are just waiting around for payday.

Ben

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Here is the latest with CP and lineups. My son (also he is my partner in this business) walked into one of the CP Central Post Offices yesterday. He was 3rd in line and we go there 3 times per week.

The CP Clerk, looking upset told him that he should bother coming into there postal station with 6 parcels. SO my son being a typical 'in your face' type of guy replied "Well where exactly would you like me to take them?" and the Clerk said we should have them picked up.

Right at $16 plus GST plus Fuel Surcharge per week.

There were other people there with 5 or 6 items and we ship 3-4 times per week to keep the volume down. Granted, piled one on top of the other, they formed a stack about 5 1/2 ft tall, it is strange to have CP try to refuse acepting mail.

So know I know what these guys that are planning on going on strike want. They want to work at the Post Office for $65,000 providing there is no mail.

Ba$tard$ dont know what work is. Let them try selling damn instruments on eBay, ki$$ing the backsides of a couple of bad customers at the same time, packaging the items and then driving to mail them only to meet people who dont appreciate their petty little overpaid job as a postal clrek who tell you that you dont have a right to mail the items at a post office.

Wait until I go to do another mailing myself tomorrow. I will bring one extra empty box to shove down the throat of that useless postal clerk.

Malcolm
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
Can I watch?

How is this for a horror story. There is a new postal outlet in a video store that just opened up next to my wife's gym. She thought it would be convenient to take the parcels there. I gave her 7 or 8 parcels this morning. She gets there and puts them on the counter. I have expedited labels on them with the measurements written on each label to save time.

THe girl pulls out a binder..yes, there is NO computer!! She looks up everything manually. Her first big issue was the Expedited parcels. She said because they were all under 1 kg they would have to go Express Post. She did not have a price in her binder for Expedited under 1 kg so she said she could not send them that way. My wife called me and I informed the lady that all parcels over 2 cms are charged the 1 kg rate. She said OK and started to measure them. My wife pointed to the measurements on the boxes. She said "I have to measure them myself in case you made a mistake." I guess she does not understand the whole concept of cubing and why it is done. We were already paying the 1 kg rate, far more than these parcels would cube to.

It took her forever to finish. She had to look up the postal code in one book, then go to the binder for a rate. It was ridiculous. And she said they "might" get a computer in a year.

Well she "won't" be getting any more of my parcels.

I take about a hundred parcels and envelopes at a time to USPS. I have never been in there more than 20 minutes. And they always treat me good when I show up with all that "work". I will be giving them all a box of chocolates when I go on Friday to thank them for their great service.

I am sending Canada Post a lump of coal.

Rob
Message 25 of 27
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
I have 2 claims and 2 traces on replacement items I sent the same 2 customers in the US. USPS damaged both of the items and they had lost both of the other items sent to replace the damaged items. One was just delivered this past weekend after 3 weeks for Expedited service.

CP called me yesterday about the other claim and trace but leaves my son the name and case number for a customer who is not ours.

Rob, I am sure that you have found a great USPS location to deal with and the staff are very cordial and helpful but there are many deeper problems wit USPS in delivery than with CP.

I have a couple of CP outlets with some Shoppers Drug Marts where one or two of the postal clerks are top notch, friendly and they thank me for my business.

Its just that it is not convenient for me to walk into the back of a filled pharmacy with 4 electronic keyboards, 3 violins and a couple of guitars.

They both have their problems. I believe that CP's problems are on the front line and administration and USPS' problems are in delivery.

Combined (when shipping to the US via USPS), we have the biggest shipping horror stories to tell our children all about.

Malcolm

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
THe CP outlet I usually go to is very good. A few discrepancies amongst staff, but nothing major. My big issues are with Canada Post, their pricing and their options.

The delivery is excellent.

ROb
Message 27 of 27
latest reply