Weird Situation

tofolok
Community Member

I have a feeling someone is trying to commit fraud with a stolen credit card/paypal on my item. Here's the story and I am looking for advice on what to do. Ive listed my Ipad on here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161033996453&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123

everything went smooth and in 8 hours someone used a buy it now option. That someone has only 1 positive feedback, which has been made private. The problem is not that though, the address on the main account is in Long Beach, CA, seeing that this is my first time selling something internationally I went to Canada Post Office and found out it will cost $22.95 to ship to CA, USA. So I requested a total payment of $622.95 from the seller, and this morning I woke up to find out that buyer has sent me $725.00 sp I can get 3 day shipping to Africa  instead of $622.95 and has completely changed the shipping address to GHANA, I have stated in my shipping policy I don't ship to Africa, now I would like an opinion from someone knowledgeable on what to do in this situation.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Weird Situation

I think this buyer used a US address to purchase your item. And when he was able to, he then changed his shipping address to his real address. Some buyers have no conscience really.... as to how to proceed with this situation... I would first contact buyer and ask why he changed his shipping address for one you don't ship to.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Weird Situation

tofolok
Community Member

Thanks but turned out this guy was a scammer, he sent me a fake Paypal email, Service@PayPal.com (onlinetransactionconfirmed@hush.com) which asked me to provide shipping number to paypal for some reason ... I am cancelling this transaction right away.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Weird Situation

I would not recommend that. In order to cancel a transaction, the buyer has to agree to it. If he doesn't, you loose your Final Value Fees. I would file an Unpaid Item Case instead.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Weird Situation

tofolok
Community Member

There has to be an easier way, for that I have to actually wait 2 more days before I am even able to file a report, and then probably 3 more days.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Weird Situation

Call eBay and explain the situation

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Weird Situation

You can end the transaction two ways.

(But report the scammer to eBay immediately. Mention of Ghana will probably make the clerks react promptly.)

First there is the Mutual Cancellation. The seller asks the buyer to agree to the cancellation. If she does, the transaction ends immediately. If she ignores the request (and scammers often do) the transaction ends after a few days. (Four, I think). Both parties can leave feedback.

Then there is the Unpaid Item Dispute. If the buyer has not paid after two days (less than it used to be) the seller can open the dispute. Again, the buyer has time to respond, but when the transaction ends, the buyer gets a Strike and no feedback can be left.

Don't worry much about feedback, scammers tend to try to stay under the radar and not leave any.

With either form of cancellation, the seller's FVF fees are refunded.

Take your time. Do NOT ship anywhere. This is definitely a scam. And eventually eBay will act to protect you.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Weird Situation

lady.stark-- You are thinking of the cancellation of a running auction. With these eBay charges fees based on the high bid, if any, if there are bidders.

The idea is to prevent sellers from ending auctions to sell off-eBay, avoiding fees while using the venue to find customers.

This case involves an actual purchase, not a running auction. The selling fees (but not the listing fees) would be refunded.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Weird Situation

lady.stark-- You are thinking of the cancellation of a running auction. With these eBay charges fees based on the high bid, if any, if there are bidders.

The idea is to prevent sellers from ending auctions to sell off-eBay, avoiding fees while using the venue to find customers.

This case involves an actual purchase, not a running auction. The selling fees (but not the listing fees) would be refunded.

I believe that lady stark was referring to a mutual cancellation and what would happen if they buyer denied the cancellation.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Weird Situation

tofolk,  When newer sellers try to sell things like ipads, computers, cell phones etc, it tends to attract the scammers so if I were you I would try to sell your ipad on Kijiji.

If you do decide to try selling it here again make sure that you are using the right postal service. Items over $325 Cdn require a signature in order to be covered by Paypal seller protection. For the U.S. you would need to use xpresspost as expedited USA does not have a signature option.For an item that expensive you might also want to use a service that allows you to buy extra insurance. It  can be very iffy getting a signature overseas so I would recommend that you limit sales to Canada and the U.S.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Weird Situation

I believe that lady stark was referring to a mutual cancellation and what would happen if they buyer denied the cancellation.

That is exactly what I was referring to.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply