What can I do If a seller guarantees an item for 3 years and the item broke 6 months after receiving the product.

carl-philippe
Community Member

I purchased an item from an international seller (in the USA) and the item broke after 6 months. The item is guaranteed for 3 years. Is there anything I could do?

The first step will obviously be contacting the seller but should he ignore my request, what can I do? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What can I do If a seller guarantees an item for 3 years and the item broke 6 months after receiving the product.

Hello 'carl-philippe',

After this much time there really is nothing to be done, unless you are able to contact the manufacturer directly.  Certainly, contact the seller, but you may be disappointed.  You only have 45 days to file a claim for 'not as described' as you probably know.  I'm sure you've seen Section 4 here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

Have a look at the following link about warranties and so on.  For items that are expected to perform for a length of time it is generally best if they are bought locally, as you can then trot back to the store with your item and explain the problem, often getting a replacement on the spot.  But for today, here is ebay's policy about this subject:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/warranties.html

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi carl-philippe .. The answer is nothing.(other than sue,unlikely). A seller's guarantee is only as good as his reputation.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

My post assumes that you are ineligible for manufacture's warranty.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hello 'carl-philippe',

After this much time there really is nothing to be done, unless you are able to contact the manufacturer directly.  Certainly, contact the seller, but you may be disappointed.  You only have 45 days to file a claim for 'not as described' as you probably know.  I'm sure you've seen Section 4 here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

Have a look at the following link about warranties and so on.  For items that are expected to perform for a length of time it is generally best if they are bought locally, as you can then trot back to the store with your item and explain the problem, often getting a replacement on the spot.  But for today, here is ebay's policy about this subject:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/warranties.html

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

carl-philippe
Community Member

Thanks for your answers. I read the link you sent and it seems that for an item of a greater value of 15$, there are ways to put "pressure" on the seller should he not comply. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

hkice_ca
Community Member

I have met the same problem with you,  it is hard for buyers to contact manufacturer directly, so  buyers hope the sellers to help with the warranties issures, however, lots of sellers will not responde to the message after purchases. 

Buyers gave sellers 5-star feedback while puchasing, after that, risk is on buyers themselves, which depends on how lucky they are.

sellers only give how long the items are gonna be covered in the Ads,  but how  sellers  would get them stays unknown. 

That is why I am here looking for help, but I have not  find a helpful topic so far.

I wonder if Ebay could set a feedback system about warranties, which can give buyer more protection and more confidence.

Although I know it is hard, I hope Ebay and all buyer  could work out soon.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply