What can I do if I suspect a seller has changed the item description after item is purchased

fendi99
Community Member

Is there any way to prove a seller changed the item description after item is purchased?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

What can I do if I suspect a seller has changed the item description after item is purchased

fendi99
Community Member

I can prove the seller changed the written description of the item after the purchase a couple of ways. I could dispute it but they know what they did. I didn't make my decision to purchase on the picture but on the written description and that was altered after the purchase for a fact.  I have never left negative feedback, but that might change.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Generally speaking, it is impossible for a seller to change the description or price of the listing after a sale.

There are ways to change some aspects of an auction listing after a bid is received but any bidder who placed a bid before the changes were made would be entitled to the description and terms of the original listing.

Could you please provide:

1) listing number

2) changes that you think we made

"I can prove"

I am not sure what that means.  Could you provide specific details.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Was this the listing?

CHAKRA CRYSTAL HEALING STONE SET OF 7 STONES

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Above the Item Specifics in the listing, there will be a link to "View all revisions" if any have been made. On the coin listing there was a revision on June 24th buy you should be able to see the listing as it was the day you purchased as stated below.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/about-view-item.html

If you have already purchased from the listing, you can review the information from the time when you bought it. To review this information, click the View purchased item link at the top of the listing. Or go to the Order details page and click the View purchased item link.

I have noticed on my own listings that although the listing will say there has been a revision in 2 areas, I've usually just made a revision in 1 area.

As to what you can do...if you haven't paid for the item and you no longer want it, then don't pay for it. If you have already received it then you can file for an item not as described.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The seller has more than one of these coins, and just because they changed something in the description, that does not necessarily mean that you will receive something other than what you think you purchased.  As pj advised, have a look at the revisions, and compare the current listing to the version from which you made your decision to buy.  If you are very concerned that you will receive a different coin, contact the seller and very politely ask if the revisions apply to your purchase.  When you receive it, check it against the description as it was when you purchased.  If it is not the same, contact the seller, advising them of the differences.  They should make it right.  If they don't, use the Resolution Center.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I can prove the written description was changed after I made my purchase. Unfortunately the very thing that was changed was one of the things I based my decision to purchase on. I think the resolution center would say I should have contacted the seller about the discrepancy between the picture and the written description before purchase, and they would be absolutely right. It's my fault I didn't notice the pictures and written description didn't match. Lesson learned.

In the sellers defence, they did offer to upgrade my purchase to the collector packaging that was originally described, but at added expense, and I chose to opt out, staying with the item that was pictured.

Thank you for your input.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

"I can prove the written description was changed after I made my purchase."

I do not mean to nag you but what is the listing number or item description of your purchase?

It is impossible to comment adequately unless we can see what the listing actually states.

What do you mean by "I can prove..."

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

When I click on "item you purchased", it shows the wording in the description at the time of my purchase before the written description was edited.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

The collector coin will be the same but the packaging changed from the maroon clamshell in the black beauty box I thought I had purchased to the tri-fold card that is, as I stated, what is pictured.

It's my fault for not noticing the discrepancy between the item pictured and the written description. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Is this the listing - #271507024682?  I can see that there was a revision, but I cannot find a pre-revised version of the listing.

I'm sorry the seller did not make this right for you.  S/he either noticed the error after you purchased, or couldn't find the described packaging, or had "seller's remorse" and thought s/he should have more money for what was described.  IMHO, the seller should have provided what they described for the price they asked.  To ask more money for something that was included in their description - ie, ask you to pay for their mistake - is not what I call good selling practice.  I too would be upset. 

Yes, you missed the discrepancy, and we all know it is a world of "buyer beware".  However the seller is responsible for everything they place into a listing.  They have sold 3 other coins at the same or lower price this month, and one wonders whether the description of packaging in those sales included the clamshell/beauty box, and whether the purchasers received that, or got the same result as you did.

You apparently have already agreed to accept the tri-fold card packaging, and have chosen to chalk this up to experience (AKA blame yourself).  What do other more experienced posters have to say?  Do photos trump description, or is it the other way around?  Could this listing be reported, and/or are there other remedies available to the OP?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

The increased cost would have been applied to postage, letter v. parcel, and that point can't be argued. I still think the resolution center would say I should have contacted the seller about the discrepancy before I purchased. That's the solution that would make sense to me for the system to work.

Thanks for your supportive opinion. It will be interesting to see what others think.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I agree that buyers should look at both the pics and the description and ask about any discrepancies before the purchase but ultimately, I think that it is the seller's fault for not putting in the correct description. They should send you what was described and pay the extra shipping cost. Or, at the very least..offer to split the extra shipping cost.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply