What can be done if the seller does not use shipping method paid for?

Is there any recourse if a seller ships an item out using a cheaper shipping option?  The seller is in the US.  For example, First class package international instead of Priority Mail which is what was paid for.  I have brought it to their attention (tracking number was uploaded on ebay) and was told that they could not change the shipping method and would go to the post office the next day (today).   In case they still cannot/won't change it to Priority Mail which is the service I paid for, what can I do?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: What can be done if the seller does not use shipping method paid for?

Wait until you have in fact received your parcel and know exactly - at that time - what service was used, how long it took, and how much the seller actually spent to send the parcel.

Patience.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I am in the same situation but I am a Canadian buyer and bought something from Florida.  The seller's auction ad (for Jordan shoes) did not have option for shipping outside the U.S. so I messaged seller prior to auction ending how much to ship to Canada but seller was not sure.  I decided to bid on the item anyways.

After I won the auction (Dec 1) I message the seller for the invoice (as there was no shipping amount), the seller provided an invoice with shipping of $49 (seller noted on invoice:"I checked the price with usps priority mail it almost 50 to ship does that sound right?").  I message the seller saying that was a bit high.  I asked for dimensions, weight and seller's zip code as I wanted to check out other cheaper options.  Seller indicated that was for "USPS Priority" and provided me with all the info I requested.

I found UPS shipped it cheaper for about $28.53 (4 business days).  I asked seller to confirm that UPS pricing was cheaper (just to make sure seller gets same price).  Seller confirmed said "Yes ups is much cheaper than usps".  I asked seller to update the shipping cost and I will pay right away.  Seller change shipping to $30, I paid (Dec 2).  I saw the tracking number from seller so I checked it out on UPS.com.  It did not show up but later in the evening I can see it on eBay, it indicated carrier was USPS.  I went to the USPS site and notice it was shipped using 'First-Class Package International Service' - I was not sure what that meant so I went to check on USPS site and notice this takes longer and is around $20.

I have not messaged the seller since I asked seller to update the shipping so I could pay for item.

I know part of the shipping is a handling charge but at no point the seller mentioned a handling charge.  I see the item dropped off yesterday Dec 2 and has no update since (no estimated date of arrival).

I mean it's only about $10 difference (could go to taxes,import charges I probably will have to pay) but I feel a bit cheated, switch from UPS to USPS and slower shipping probably...  Any thoughts? 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I don't think you would want UPS. They usually have a $40.00 brokerage fee they add on once they deliver it to you.
This is their fee for bringing it across the border.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Good to know!

I'm relatively new to importing from U.S. to Canada, so it seems USPS is the best option in most cases?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I would ask for a refund the difference on the shipping after you get the shipment and see how much it cost.

The reason is you paid for express, with express there is an expectation that it will arrive quicker than "first class".  Now you won't get to use the product you purchased earlier than you expected to.

I feel if the seller realize their mistake, they would refund you that difference if they are honest seller - they don't seem to dispute that you paid express...

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

so it seems USPS is the best option in most cases?

Yes.

Canadian duty and tax are applicable on any import over $20CDN (about $18 USD) but Canada Post and CBSA often overlook this and deliver without extra charges. But don't count on it on anything over $100 or bulky.

And duty is based on place of manufacture, not of purchase.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Is there any assistance that eBay can provide in a case when the seller will not return the shipping $ difference even when it was clear that Buyer was paying for the more expensive option yet Seller choose the cheapest?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

According to eBay help pages:

"You're required to select the shipping option that best matches the shipping service that you offer in the listing. This helps set buyer expectations about when the item will be delivered."

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/selling-practices.html

I think I read recently that when the shipping method paid for is downgraded, a claim can be made through the "Item not as Described" pollicy, but can't find this now.  Can someone else comment?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply