What do I do if a seller used a slower shipping method than the one listed in the item listing?

The seller listed free shipping with UPS. My item was supposed estimated to arrive May 20 or May 21.

Instead of using UPS, they used DHL, which is slower and against eBay policy

To quote: 

Free shipping

You can offer free shipping to select or all destinations.

For a destination with free shipping, no other fees related to shipping, handling, or packaging can be charged.

You're not allowed to use a shipping method that is slower than the slowest one indicated in the listing.

UPS was the only shipping method available on the listing.

I won't purchase anything from then had I known they were shipping via DHL, as their service is horrible where I live. May 20, my package cleared customs 3 hours away from me (in Canada). Now, it is in Tokyo, Japan, and I have no idea when it will arrive because DHL tracking doesn't include arrival days.

I know it's free shipping, but as I said, I would have never purchased the item if I knew they were going to ship via DHL.

And because the seller offered free shipping, I can't give them a low rating for shipping, despite the fact they broke eBay's Free Shipping policy.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What do I do if a seller used a slower shipping method than the one listed in the item listing?

Hello 'geekyjules',

Is this about that?   231183239123

You mean to say the parcel came from China, cleared customs in Canada, then

was re-routed to Japan?   Naahh, I must have read that wrong.

The listing does say it uses DHL in addition to UPS, yet as you have noted the only choice

shown up-front as available to Canada is UPS.  It would appear you have seen this link about

what is and is not allowed regarding shipping:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/selling-practices.html#postage

I suspect the way the seller 'covers' himself is to say he uses both methods:

"We ship most items via UPS and DHL"

Ebay's policy says, "You're not allowed to use a shipping method that is slower than the

slowest one indicated in the listing",  sure, but the seller does, after all, say he may use DHL.

That bit of information is indeed indicated in the listing, and he did not send it using a method

which is slower than DHL.

I think that's how the whole issue can be 'gotten around', so to speak.

Most likely using DHL for this would have cost the seller less, or on the other hand the

seller may have known that UPS charges outrageous brokerage fees to Canada, though

not really likely.  With UPS, on that amount you would have to pay all the import charges,

plus the high processing fee to pass the loot to the government.

If the DHL parcel goes through Canada Post, you may not have to pay charges if the

posties are overworked and too tired and busy.  Or at worst, the tax plus Canada Post's

fee of only 10 bucks.  (Well, $9.95)

I've never paid charges on a DHL parcel, but you might have to.  If you are assessed for charges,

pay them graciously and without argument.  It's the cost of buying internationally.

I suppose if the item does in fact take far longer than expected, you could always mention

the DHL in your feedback.  In future when you see a listing in which 2 forms of shipping are

indicated, it might not be a bad idea to ask if the seller will be using the method stated, if you

are not provided with a choice.

If you are really in a fume about it, there is always the Customer Service phone line whereby

you could call and complain.  You might like to wait to see just what the time difference is, as

you don't have the parcel yet and thus cannot say how great (if any) will be the delay.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hello 'geekyjules',

Is this about that?   231183239123

You mean to say the parcel came from China, cleared customs in Canada, then

was re-routed to Japan?   Naahh, I must have read that wrong.

The listing does say it uses DHL in addition to UPS, yet as you have noted the only choice

shown up-front as available to Canada is UPS.  It would appear you have seen this link about

what is and is not allowed regarding shipping:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/selling-practices.html#postage

I suspect the way the seller 'covers' himself is to say he uses both methods:

"We ship most items via UPS and DHL"

Ebay's policy says, "You're not allowed to use a shipping method that is slower than the

slowest one indicated in the listing",  sure, but the seller does, after all, say he may use DHL.

That bit of information is indeed indicated in the listing, and he did not send it using a method

which is slower than DHL.

I think that's how the whole issue can be 'gotten around', so to speak.

Most likely using DHL for this would have cost the seller less, or on the other hand the

seller may have known that UPS charges outrageous brokerage fees to Canada, though

not really likely.  With UPS, on that amount you would have to pay all the import charges,

plus the high processing fee to pass the loot to the government.

If the DHL parcel goes through Canada Post, you may not have to pay charges if the

posties are overworked and too tired and busy.  Or at worst, the tax plus Canada Post's

fee of only 10 bucks.  (Well, $9.95)

I've never paid charges on a DHL parcel, but you might have to.  If you are assessed for charges,

pay them graciously and without argument.  It's the cost of buying internationally.

I suppose if the item does in fact take far longer than expected, you could always mention

the DHL in your feedback.  In future when you see a listing in which 2 forms of shipping are

indicated, it might not be a bad idea to ask if the seller will be using the method stated, if you

are not provided with a choice.

If you are really in a fume about it, there is always the Customer Service phone line whereby

you could call and complain.  You might like to wait to see just what the time difference is, as

you don't have the parcel yet and thus cannot say how great (if any) will be the delay.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

UPS is a courier. DHL is a courier. The seller did not change the service, only the company.

UPS is notorious for charging duty, sales tax and a whopping 'customs brokerage' fee ($25 or more) on your doorstep before releasing your purchase.

DHL works with Canada Post which usually handles the actual delivery. Canada Post is unlikely to charge the duty, sales tax and their 'service fee' (about $10) on inexpensive purchases, especially if it is not bulky.

The seller did you a favour by using DHL.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

No, they didn't.

I have couriers arriving at my house 2 times a week, at a minimum. DHL is the worse and their fees are just as high, and sometimes higher than, UPS. It also means that I'll have to go to the post office because my mail courier cannot take duties at the door.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Even after the purchase was finalized, it confirmed UPS with an estimated delivery date of 20-21. Anyway, I guess I'll just not purchase from again, and give a neutral feedback.

Also, you didn't read it wrong. This is just one of many reasons I won't buy something from any retailer (just not on eBay) you uses DHL. I've never had a positive experience with them, and they charge more than UPS for brokerage fees.

21 Arrived at Sort Facility TOKYO - JAPAN TOKYO - JAPAN 10:40

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 Location Time
20 Departed Facility in BRITISH COLUMBIA - CANADA BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 13:41

19 Processed at BRITISH COLUMBIA - CANADA BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 13:40

18 Clearance processing complete at BRITISH COLUMBIA - CANADA BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 08:24

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 Location Time
17 Customs status updated BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 15:31

16 Processed for clearance at BRITISH COLUMBIA - CANADA BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 11:08

15 Clearance event BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 11:08

14 Arrived at Sort Facility BRITISH COLUMBIA - CANADA BRITISH COLUMBIA, BC - CANADA 11:00

13 Departed Facility in CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 05:10

12 Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 04:19

11 Clearance processing complete at CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 03:48

10 Arrived at Sort Facility CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 03:45

Monday, May 19, 2014 Location Time
9 Customs status updated CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 10:43

8 Departed Facility in EAST CHINA AREA - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC EAST CHINA AREA - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 19:49

7 Processed at EAST CHINA AREA - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC EAST CHINA AREA - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 18:51

Sunday, May 18, 2014 Location Time
6 Processed at EAST CHINA AREA - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC EAST CHINA AREA - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 04:42

5 Arrived at Sort Facility EAST CHINA AREA - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC EAST CHINA AREA - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 04:04

Saturday, May 17, 2014 Location Time
4 Clearance processing complete at EAST CHINA AREA - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC EAST CHINA AREA - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 22:17

3 Departed Facility in ZHEJIANG PROVINCE - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC ZHEJIANG PROVINCE - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 20:34

2 Processed at ZHEJIANG PROVINCE - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC ZHEJIANG PROVINCE - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 20:33

1 Shipment picked up ZHEJIANG PROVINCE - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC

Message 5 of 5
latest reply