What happens when a stamped envelope has not arrived?

xeposter
Community Member

I did the thing an sent a 5 dollar bill in the mail with a stamp. Now...(weeks later)...the buyer is emailing saying that they *never* got it. I wrapped the bill in paper, but I am afraid that some PO worker saw it through the envelope and took it. I sent a couple things with stamps that same day, and everything else got delivered. Is there any was for me to to not have to refund them?

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Without tracking there is no proof the item arrived. The item could have been lost in the mail, stolen or the buyer is dishonest and lied. No way to know.

You will have to refund. Now how to do it without getting a defect from eBay is something I do not know. Perhaps someone else can give advice to avoid a defect.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Without tracking there is no proof the item arrived. The item could have been lost in the mail, stolen or the buyer is dishonest and lied. No way to know.

You will have to refund. Now how to do it without getting a defect from eBay is something I do not know. Perhaps someone else can give advice to avoid a defect.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

That same thing happened to me a couple years bck and yess your hooped,ebay does take points off you even though you sent the money back ebay likes to put salt on the wound not fair but thats life here in the fast lane

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The least likely scenario is that a well paid unionized postal worker with full medical and dental benefits and a nice pension to look forward to, stole $5 from an envelope.

The most likely is that the envelope is still on its way and the buyer is impatient -- followed by the buyer lying knowing there is nothing you can do about it.

So refund and ask politely that WHEN the envelope arrives that the buyer return the refund. He might -- or he might even blush.

BTW- You are in the USA. While moving to a tracked service would cost a Canadian over $10 , it is my understanding that a Delivery Confirmation label costs about a quarter from USPS.

In the long run, if you are shipping low value items without Confirmation of Delivery, use Cookie Jar Insurance.

Just add a few pennies to every asking price or shipping fee  and put those virtual pennies in a virtual Cookie Jar.

When you have a complaint like this, refund from the Cookie Jar before eBay or PP gets involved.

Most sellers find they break even or make money on Cookie Jar insurance.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

The least likely scenario is that a well paid unionized postal worker with full medical and dental benefits and a nice pension to look forward to, stole $5 from an envelope.

🙂  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hello. I get tracking free when I print my labels off of eBay. In the PO though...it costs $1.50 USD, and the price is just going up. Bad, bad, bad. I only charged $0.99 USD for shipping.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Your "buyer" stole YOUR money. eBay does not track thieves and you got screwed by a thief. eBay could easily track the buyers who say item didn't arrive and let sellers know how many times a buyer has pulled this scam, theft and mail fraud, but they choose not to.  Sellers don't matter. sellers are just  second class eBay members.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I don't think the buyer stole it. They seem really nice and their message was kind. They buy lots of dollar bills and have left positive feedback saying they got it and were happy.

That is no excuse of course...

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

"Hello. I get tracking free when I print my labels off of eBay. In the PO though...it costs $1.50 USD, and the price is just going up. Bad, bad, bad. I only charged $0.99 USD for shipping."

Alex, if I may, your post is very confusing and misleading.

This is a discussion board on eBay-Canada dealing mostly with Canadian problems and inquiries.

To state what you do in the USA ("free tracking") does not help Canadian buyers or sellers as these options are not available here..

Foreign posters (Americans or from overseas) are always welcome here in Canada.  However when posting opinions they should consider the Canadian reality.

Thank you.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply