What happens when you cannot pay for an item?

I got a great deal on an item from a very new seller, The shipping calculator will not work and i cannot get a response from the seller. I have requested they give me a total or just cancel the transaction they either ignore me or have no clue how to check messages.

I suspect the item  under performed at auction and the seller hopes i just go away, which because it's a very new seller i would let them off the hook from shipping , But i need to know what the repercussions are when a transaction is never completed or cancelled, just left to fade into the archives.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It's a buyer's obligation to pay once they confirm "buy" twice or place an authorized bid. By clicking and confirming buy without a listed or advertised shipping rate, the seller now can charge you whatever they feel like on shipping and you'd have to pay or face getting an unpaid item strike. This is why you MUST wait till the seller answers your emails before purchasing the item, or if no luck then don't buy it.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Are you seeing any invoice at all? If you can, pay whatever it is, even if no shipping amount appears.

That should get his attention.Woman Surprised

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hello 'gotwhatchuneed',

Any chance you would be willing to post an item number?

Did you buy that on the US ebay?  Is it an American seller or Canadian?

If it is an Canadian seller, assuming he has entered the dimensions then the shipping calculator

should work.  Either way, once he knows the packed weight he can find the cost here:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s1

If it is one of those 'only ships within the US' sellers, that would explain his reluctance to correspond

with you.  Still, shipping to Canada is super easy.  All he has to do is package it up, weigh it, and

get the cost here:

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10054

Of course, you've been on ebay long enough to know you ought to inquire about shipping fees

in advance of bidding and buying.  That way, if a seller ignores you, it's a good indication that you

may want to find someone a little more agreeable.

For now, though, assuming you have given him a reasonable length of time to reply (?), if he tries to

open an Unpaid Item case against you, you can call ebay (top right corner, Customer Support) and ask

them to remove it.  After all, you are willing and eager to pay, if only he would add on a shipping fee.

You could always try to get his contact information (to the right of the Search bar, ... Advanced) from

ebay and call him to ask if he would be willing to send an invoice so you can pay it.  If he has trouble

sorting the invoice out, remind him he needs to enter the new information, Preview, and Send.

He must not hit 'Recalculate' because that takes him back to square one, and he could do that all day

and never get the invoice completed.

Best of luck  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The seller is in my province, I've never been ripped off with calculated shipping , I alway's assumed the shipping calculator assessed an exact Canada post cost and you give the seller a bit for package materials.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Hmmm, you say he's in the same province, -- well, that's good.  If you do get the item it will arrive quickly and

about as cheaply as you can expect to get anywhere.  Haha, if you get to complete the transaction.

You say he is a new seller, -- so he may not really know what he's doing.   He may be so preoccupied

with other things he is neglecting you.   

You also say you got a great deal, -- is there any chance he listed the item at starting price that was too low,

or lower than he is willing to sell the item for?  New people sometimes make that mistake, imagining that their

rubbish will incite a bidding war the moment it appears.

So I guess that item number is out of the question...   Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@gotwhatchuneed wrote:

I got a great deal on an item from a very new seller, The shipping calculator will not work and i cannot get a response from the seller. I have requested they give me a total or just cancel the transaction they either ignore me or have no clue how to check messages.

I suspect the item  under performed at auction and the seller hopes i just go away, which because it's a very new seller i would let them off the hook from shipping , But i need to know what the repercussions are when a transaction is never completed or cancelled, just left to fade into the archives.

There is no repercussions for you unless the seller files an unpaid item case and as mentioned, you should be able to get that removed if you phone customer service.  If the transaction just fades into the archives, that doesn't affect your account at all.

Repercussions for the seller - Unless they file an unpaid item claim or file a mutual cancellation, they will be charged final value fees for the sale. If they file a mutual cancellation and you agree to it..they get their fees back. If you disagree, they do not get their fees back. The seller may also receive a defect depending on the reason they give for the mutual cancellation.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply