What if an item arrives that is not as described? Can I ask for a full refund including shipping?

Hi there.

I purchased some facial pads about 3 1/2 weeks ago that were listed as 'new' and 'factory sealed'.

They arrived today and the reality is that they were used; the jar had been opened and some of the pads were missing.

Further to that, because the jar had been opened and the item took 3 weeks to reach my home, it arrived with the facial pads all dried up and basically unusable.

I have contacted the seller to convey my disappointment and am awaiting an answer.

What kind of compensation am I entitled to?

The seller misrepresented the item as 'new' and I wouldn't have considered purchasing it had I known it was already opened, and probably dried out.

Thank you for the help.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What if an item arrives that is not as described? Can I ask for a full refund including shipping?

Hi 'emjay',

Whatever feedback you leave for a person, you also leave for yourself.  Any comment you leave will always say far more about you than it will say about the seller.  Me, I see no reason to hurt the seller, - after all, she did nothing to harm you.  A hassle-free refund when needed is always a positive experience in my opinion.  You've wasted some time, sure, but that happens in life.  Never leave a comment if there is even a scintilla of a chance you could regret it later.  When you bid on other sellers' items, those sellers will form an opinion of you based on what you say about others, not what others have said about you. 

Choose your words carefully. 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Has it been 45 days yet? If it hasn't, open a "Item not as described" case. You do have a valid reason to do so, as the item was not factory sealed. Here is the link to do so http://resolutioncenter.ebay.ca/

After opening that, message the seller again. Explain the situation (again) to the seller. Many sellers will not pay return shipping whatsoever, so you may have to keep asking to try to get that paid for. If the seller is unwilling to cooperate, you can get eBay involved.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Seller may offer a full refund.

Once you go the not as described route..PayPal will refund your full payment but may require that you return with online delivery confirmation, at your expense.

Should you have to go that route , file the claim no later than day 43 from date of your payment.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
The first step is to contact the seller and explain the problem. If the seller voluntarily offers a refund,great,you won't have to open a dispute in that case. The time to open a dispute is if the seller refuses a full refund or never responds to your message.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

After your Paypal dispute is resolved, you can leave appropriate feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings.

The most effective feedback is calm and factual (Used sold as new, product unusable, refunded by PP). While the normal Rating is Five, the lowest Rating is ONE. No rating is a free pass. 

Ratings are much more important to a seller than feedback because low ratings can mean restrictions to the number and value of listings, holds against performance on payments, and even being kicked off  eBay.

You have 60 days from purchase to leave feedback.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Hi again.

Thank you all for your advice.

So, the seller responded to me and offered me a full refund.

However....she wanted the pads sent back to her. With tracking, that would cost me MORE than what I originally spent on the darn things!

Anyway, I contacted the seller again, to say that it didn't seem fair for me to be out of pocket with nothing to show for it. (She would be back at square one with no money lost or gained and her item back in her possession).

I explained that I would have no recourse by to leave 'less than 100%' feedback.

She agreed to let me keep the pads, which I am happy about (although they will go in the garbage).

My dilemma now is what to do about feedback??

Femmefan mentioned how important feedback is, and I agree.

So, what to do now?

I appreciate that she returned my payment and reneged on her demand for the item to be sent back BUT, she is still claiming that the product is new.

How can the item be new if it isn't factory sealed and some of the pads are missing??

Anyway, I don't want to be mean but I want to be fair.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi 'emjay',

Whatever feedback you leave for a person, you also leave for yourself.  Any comment you leave will always say far more about you than it will say about the seller.  Me, I see no reason to hurt the seller, - after all, she did nothing to harm you.  A hassle-free refund when needed is always a positive experience in my opinion.  You've wasted some time, sure, but that happens in life.  Never leave a comment if there is even a scintilla of a chance you could regret it later.  When you bid on other sellers' items, those sellers will form an opinion of you based on what you say about others, not what others have said about you. 

Choose your words carefully. 🙂

Message 7 of 7
latest reply