What is the best way to make profit as a Canadian seller?

I´m brand new to selling on e-bay, and, honestly, really don´t know where to start.  
Is there a list of Canadian wholesalers?  If not, what are the best options using American wholesalers and what can I expect to pay in terms of taxes, duties, etc... ?  
Is it worth the risk to try dropshipping or should I just pay shipping to be safe?
Any advice or wisdom you could pass on to me would be  much appreciated!
Thanks!!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Sell what you know; know what you sell.

Don't dropship-- you will be selling stuff you've never seen and have no control over the packaging and shipping.

The best source for finding wholesalers is the (paper) Yellow Pages for your city. Or the nearest large city if you live in a rural or isolated area.

Say you were a hairdresser. Ask the sales reps who come around about purchasing job lots or end of lines of their products. They may have returns as well. (But watch out for best before dates).

From the Yellow Pages under Beauty Products-wholesale, look for nearby wholesalers,manufacturers, liquidators, importers. Visit them and see what deals you can make on small lots.

You don't want a lot of anything. If you can buy three bottles of specialty conditioner at $3 each or 30 bottles at $1 each, go for the three.

Expect at first to pay for your items immediately. Eventually you will get 30, 60 , even 90 days to pay. But not at first.

Expect to be asked for your sales tax number. You can get this from your provincial sales tax department. They are in the Blue Pages of the phone book. It's free. And if you are charging sales tax, you get paid to remit it, which takes about 10 minutes including mailing time.

If you are NOT asked for a sales tax number, understand that you are paying retail. It is very hard to sell retail when you are buying retail.

Oh, and you do know that eBay will restrict the number and value of your listings until you have established yourself. Part of that is the Detailed Seller Ratings. Look them up on the Site Map.

Also, Paypal will hold the payments of your customers for 21days against your good performance. You will be able to use that held money to pay for PP shipping labels (some of which are discounted from PO counter prices by 5%to 18%). Ship promptly.

You will have other questions.....

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Whatever you do, do not use dropshipping. They make all the money while you get all the headaches.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Start small and try to sell some junk around your house that you are willing to throw out or don't care about. List a couple things and see how it turns out. Become familiar with the shipping calculator and postage services offered. Take it slow. Surf around Ebay and see how others operate.

I've never used a wholesaler, just garage sales, flea markets, Salvation Army and other used goods stores. There is profit in everything if you get it for the right price! One thing about Ebay, there is a buyer for everything you can possibly think of.

One thing I do to make easy money is drink beer and sell the empties on Ebay, like a true Canadian.  Good Luck!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221338235101?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Message 4 of 4
latest reply