What is with this new Customs thing being pedaled from ebay.com are they trying to upstage Coke with something new?

tusa
Community Member

In Canada we rarely pay customs on low value items coming from the US. Why would I buy something from someone that "has" or is using this, Customs/Brokerage thing. That why Canadian nevr have FedEx or UPS ship us anything from the US. It is just a way to line everyone pockets. We want to pay less not more. I think this is the biggest mistake ebay has ever made. I will never buy from someone that uses or has to use this system. Very strange idea. Please someone explain it to me.....????? Sounds like a New Coke idea to me. Hope we go back to Classic soon......

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

What is with this new Customs thing being pedaled from ebay.com are they trying to upstage Coke with something new?

It's the global shipping program that they have for U.S. sellers. If you check the question below you there is a little more info on it.

There is also more info at this link.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

You should not be charged duty or tax on items under $20. If you have been, you can call the CBSA number on the back of your invoice and reclaim the money charged in error.

But the Global Shipping Program has only two beneficiaries. The seller gets a tiny reduction in fees for using it, not enough to make any difference to your costs. The big beneficiary is Pitney-Bowes who are raking in those fees that are the basis for your complaint.

At this point, your best strategy is to ask, BEFORE BIDDING, if the seller plans to use this stupid program. If he is, explain why you will not be bidding. Most sellers don't know that it increases the costs of their customer. If you do win something and the GSP shows up, you can ask the seller for a Mutual Cancellation because of the unexpected additional costs. If he agrees, leave positive feedback, it was nice of him.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply