What recourse do we have when a buyer returns a package without even opening it. Just writes "return to sender".

I have a customer that returned a package without opening it. I have a no return policy and the customer has not returned my inquiries. It is on its way back to me, and the post office told me I will have to pay for the return shipping once it arrives as well. Does anyone know what my rights on in this area? Thanks so much!!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

What recourse do we have when a buyer returns a package without even opening it. Just writes "return to sender".

oskye
Community Member

I couldn't find anything specific in eBay policies for this.  Which is surprising because this seems to be happening more often.

However see:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/shipping-problems.html

The buyer is responsible for the additional shipping fees - including what you had to pay for the return postage.

"If you shipped the item to the address on the eBay Order details page or the PayPal Transaction details page, and it was returned, please contact the buyer to work out a solution. If the buyer still wants the item, he or she will need to ...send the buyer a PayPal invoice for this cost. When you ship an item, be sure to use tracking and em...

In your case, the buyer appears to be unresponsive. Presumably they expect a refund of the purchase price?  Have they contacted you requesting this?

I don't know if this is acceptable policy, but what I would do is advise the buyer of the above policy - that return postage is their responsibility. And this applies whether they open the package or not.  You have the info from the post office (or an email from the buyer) saying that the package was refused and marked Return to Sender.  So, you have your back-up and proof in a dispute.

Then tell the buyer you will refund their purchase price - LESS the cost of the return postage, since that postage cost IS their responsibility, and eBay policy backs it up.  

Were the buyer to try and open a case - I certainly would not expect you to lose.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Since the buyer doesn't want the item, and is unresponsive, I would probably without further comment, refund the purchase price less the cost of the package return. I would not refund the original shipping price either.

So if the item were $10 and shipping $5 the buyer paid $15. If you paid $5 to get the item from the PO, then the customer's refund would be $5. And not a penny more.

But I'm a grouch.

Be thankful that you got back the original item in the same condition it was shipped. we recently had a poster whose customer cut up assorted jewelry to test it for gold content then returned the bits and scraps!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply