What would you do

SO hopefully I am moving but not 100% and I have an issue I need opinions on ..

My choices for school for my oldest for her first year are as follows...

A school with a horrilble education system actually 0 rating and word of mouth is bad too..

OR

A Catholic school with very good education system but the issue here is I hate religion with a passion and although some will be offended by my outlook I think religion is the root of all evil and is nothing but a fictional story made up to brainwash people into not thinking for themselves .which in my mind is repsonsible for some the most gruesome acts against humanity.. I think it makes people judgemental and cruel based on a fictional belief.. ( I do think the odd time it helps someone who is lost but only on rare occasions)

What would you do as a parent who obviouslly wants there kid to have the best education possible.

My wife and I agree when my kid was a teen we would present her with the option to become religious as we believe she should be able to choose what she wants when she is at an age she can actually choose to do what she wants without the brainwash influence so many people put on little children ..

We debated home schooling if we do not sell the house and maybe waiting until her second year when we will for sure have moved already but That also maes me feel wrong as my child loves to be around other kids...

I just need opinions because my wife and I are truly at a loss for what to do which is why were pushing to move so hard right now but opinions may help ...  

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

What would you do

just to add to it my wife feels the exact same way I do ... Scary thing is this is what just happened at the better school

http://www.timminspress.com/2014/10/22/teacher-facing-sex-charges-removed-from-duties

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

I'm not religious. I went to a Catholic school versus the "bad school" and I just ignored the religion side of it. However, don't think that the religious school is perfect. I found that the kids that went to the religious school did worse things than the kids at the "bad school". They were just better at hiding it, and it's crazy to me that they could do the things that they did and then call themselves religious.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

"but the issue here is I hate religion with a passion"

The way I see it, it comes down to a simple question:

Do you want to do what is best for your child ?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

At that age it's important your child is in a neutral type environment,later they can choose when older.
Doing what's best is very vague at best. Will the benefits outweigh the risks?
In life most regrets come from what we did not do rather then what we did,good luck.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

Send to the better school. A little religion will not hurt the child long term but a poor education environment may have a greater impact on her.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

I noticed in Ottawa that the Muslim kids often attended the Catholic system.

I'm not sure if this was correlated with French language schooling since there are also French/secular schools.

It is my understanding than many, though not all, Catholic schools will allow non-Catholic students to abstain from religious studies. You should enquire. A chat with the principal could allay your concerns.

Or give you new ones.

FWIW, and I speak here as a Christian, that an understanding of world religions and their beliefs and mythologies is a part of understanding modern culture.

Put it this way, would "The Avengers" make more or less sense to someone who has no knowledge of Norse mythology?

Just keep walkin', preacher man. - River Tam

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

I want the best to but the Religion class is mandatory in this school and I don't feel it's fair at 4 years old to preach something as complicated and complexed as religion .. I feel when too young it is brainwash not education...

I am Christian but not a believer just raised that way ...

I believe whats fair is waiting for my kid to be older to decide for herself .. I would never push my negative views of religion onto my child I developed my views with age and education on what religion has done for this world and would like my daughter to decide when she is older to do what she wants  and what she believes....

I forgot to mention I am not French or Religious and the school is french catholic which is hard for me to chew becase how can I help my kids if I don't understand .. WOuld it be harder for my child to have no help ...

I don't normally get public opinion on here but many of you are good with bias opinion and facts so I figured I would try because I am at a loss ...

I appreciate the opinions it will help in the end ....

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

If it bothers you that much send her to the public school.

One of the biggest problems with our schools is lack of parent participation.

You can make up for that with hard and rewarding work with your daughter.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

" I don't feel it's fair at 4 years old to preach something as complicated and complexed as religion ."

Before you and your wife make a decision as to what is best for your daughter, maybe both should take an hour or two and review with the school what exactly the curriculum is for the first few grades. It may not be that "complicated".

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

It is my understanding that Catholic high schools have been open to non-Catholics since Ontario began funding the secondary level, but elementary schools until recently were open only to Catholics.  About half of the boards have begun admitting non-Catholics because of declining enrollment, yet most continue to make religious education mandatory.  This raises serious questions about why Ontario should continue to fund Catholic education and also about what values the Catholic boards themselves are really putting forward - how are they weighing funding versus faith?.

Not everyone has choices about where their children attend schools.  And in my opinion, a good school will not turn a poor student into a good one, nor will a school rated lower turn a good student into a bad one.  A lot of this is up to the parents, their values, the home atmosphere and the quality of the time they spend with their young students.  Also, the rating itself can be questioned - some schools have more resources because they are located in areas where residents are wealthier, have only 1 working parent, and have a lot of parent volunteers as well as parent fund raising for extra learning resources.  There are many other reasons to question the results a school receives in these ratings.  Some schools attract better teachers because they are in popular areas that offer better life style choices to residents.

Young minds are shaped by what they are taught.  If you have such a stand against all religions, ask yourself why you would set this aside in order to "get" something for your children.  You either are or are not Christian, and if you find the whole idea so distasteful, why would your daughter benefit in any way from attending religious classes?  How will you be able to discuss what she learns there about Catholic religion with her?  What are you getting in return?  What will your daughter gain?

Re: french education:  Is this a French Immersion, or a French Language school - huge difference.  French-language education serves students whose parents are “French-language rights-holders", according to section 23 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  Does your family qualify?  If it's French Immersion, that is a different matter.  Not everyone in Immersion has French-speaking parents, and the system was set up for anglophones, so I don't see any barriers there.

And what do you know about the recent sex charge?  Have other victims been identified?  Where did the abuse occur?  How does the administration in this school help or hinder would-be abusers?  Have there been other charges against other teachers in the fairly recent past?  What about in the public school?  How do you feel about this?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

"I want the best to but the Religion class is mandatory"

Not if you are a Muslim or a number of other religions.  I also have a friend here in London who fought the Catholic Board.  He wanted his daughter to go to the Catholic elementary school as it was literally next door to his house.  He was successful.  His daughter has a study period during religion class.  Not sure how he did it, but it worked.  I guess if you kick up a big enough stink and threaten lawsuits, it works.  

I would not send my kid to a Catholic school.  I remember reading something many years ago that was supposed to be a quote from a high up Catholic theologian.  I don't remember the exact words, but it was to the effect that - give me a child at birth and I will make a Catholic for life.  This may be why they try to enforce religion classes in elementary school.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

Both our sons and our oldest grand-daughter went to a Catholic school  from kindergarten to graduating from high school.  Their outlook on religion is exactly the same as ours, nothing changed, even though they went  through all the Catholic rituals.  

Our two smaller  grand children attend Catholic school and the 11 year old is already questioning the stories in the Bible.

Send her to the Catholic school.  It won't hurt.  Kids form their own opinions after they stop believing in Santa Claus.  They tend to be

as religious as their parents that raise them.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

Its an Age old question ......after seeing 5  put through school,they tend to branch out a bit different ,but stay focused on their first 20 years in a Baptist Church........

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

What would you do

For someone like myself it is not easy to send my kid to a religious school.. I was raised Hardwork,Honesty,Respect,Facts not fictions or feelings..

Which Religion falls under those very largely as there is not one believer of any religion that can factual prove god even exist right ... So I can not let my child waste her time studying something that does not exist BUT good news they passed a law not to long ago making religious glass an option for those who are not ... GLAD I FOUND THAT OUT ..

So the choice has been made with that in mind .. Kinda scary though considering a teacher was just fired for fooling around or something along those lines with a kid... Creepy ...

I know My wife and i will do an amazing job as we are all about our kids our life revolves around them and both me and my wife came from fun loving teenagers to educated mature adults so I am not a parent who being over dramatic and my wife and i also a good fit .. She is a little bit of sugar coating and fairly tales can exist and I well let's just say I tell the truth and nothing but no maybe's or if;s so our children should get a decent balance ...

Message 15 of 15
latest reply