When shipping in the US from Canada Post - what to write in Category of Item?

There's commercial sample, documents, gift and other.

Do you guys select Other and then specify something like merchandise sold on eBay?

Is it ok to select gift if a buyer asks for it? (guess not just wanted to ma ke sure)

Anyway - with the recent change there's no reason to select gift for items under 800 USD$ right?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Do you guys select Other and then specify something like merchandise sold on eBay?

That's what i do but I use the word "Merchandise" only.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I usually put other, and write "sold".

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

ggmalkavian wrote:

There's commercial sample, documents, gift and other.

Is it ok to select gift if a buyer asks for it? (guess not just wanted to ma ke sure)

Anyway - with the recent change there's no reason to select gift for items under 800 USD$ right?

Thanks!

Other - Merchandise

And yes, no reason to put gift for US shipments for items under $800 as those are duty/tax free.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

And yes, no reason to put gift for US shipments for items under $800 as those are duty/tax free.

Just an fyi - When the limit was $200 for merchandise, the limit for gifts to the U.S. was just $100. I don't know if they changed that when they raised the rate to $800 but in the past, it might have been a detriment to mark an item as a gift.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

For years and years I have selected "Other"  and then added under more info "eBay Sale" and have never had any issues.

HTH, sending cheers Cat Happy

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

There is already an HS code on a Paypal label describing the goods more precisely.

So, OTHER.

And in the opposite direction, about 'gift', while Canadians have a higher limit on imported gifts ($60 rather than $20) if you bought it, it is not a gift, even if you plan to give it to someone else.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Just an fyi - When the limit was $200 for merchandise, the limit for gifts to the U.S. was just $100. I don't know if they changed that when they raised the rate to $800 but in the past, it might have been a detriment to mark an item as a gift.

Just like the $200 limit the gift exemption of $100 was NEVER enforced on postal shipments,

I know people who weekly import shipments into the US by mail that are valued at $1000 - $2000, these shipments are never stopped by US customs. Basically they never do anything unless the value is over US$2500 (formal customs entry required).

Import duties on consumer goods coming into the USA are generally very low and there are no federal taxes to collect so customs rarely bothers with anything unless it's a restricted item.

The big benefit to the just announced increase is that one can now use private carriers like UPS for shipments up to $800 where the previous $200 limit was strictly enforced.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I always check 'Other' and then type MERCHANDISE but I have to agree the form would make more sense if it had that option embedded. After all, those paypal shipping labels print with the words EBAY noted in fine print on the bottom left so there is little to no point in trying to be coy about it. I don't expect that the people who work at Customs are fooled by 'gift' on an ebay shipping label. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply