When will CP stop applying cubed weight on venture one small business client`s transactions ?

8 REPLIES 8

When will CP stop applying cubed weight on venture one small business client`s transactions ?

Why?

It is part of their fee structure for parcels services other than Light Packet, Small Packet and Tracked Packet? Volumetric weight has been used for years by CP and by all Couriers.

Recently in the USA, couriers are now applying Volumetric weight to items under 3 Cu ft when they did not before for ground services.

See eBay announcement

http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/12/new-shipping-rates-for-fedex-and-ups/

So the trend is for using Volumetric Weight more, not less.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I Beleive, At a point and time, CP STATED ! cubed weight  would no apply to small business clients after October 2014.

Correct me if ,am wrong about this issue.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I also thought that there was announcement that they would eventually stop using dimensional weight but the last time I mentioned it on the board no one commented so I thought I must have been mistaken.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I vaguely remember the story now so I Google searched it.  Here is one link:

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/08/21/canada-post-lee-valley/

Supposed in the article dated Aug 31, 2013, CP will remove volumetric weight within two years which would make it Aug 31, 2015.

Here is a forum topic on this from last year:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/CP-to-settle-Lee-Valley-class-action/td-p/140776

No other info on this that I could find.

If CP removes Volumetric weight, they would have to increase rates overall to compensate for the lost income. My opinion. Not a good tradeoff.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks poco. I'm glad that I wasn't just imagining that I had read about it. lol

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

There was an adjustment in how volumetric calculations were made among shipping options.

the 6,000 versus 5,000  change was introduced this year.

-------------------------------------------

2. Find the volumetric weight of the item:

volume ÷ cubing factor = volumetric weight.

Divide the volume by a cubing factor of 6,000 (5,000 for
Priority, Xpresspost, U.S. and international services, excluding
Tracked Packet and Small Packet) when measurements are in
centimetres to obtain the volumetric weight in kilograms.
When using imperial measurements (inches), use the cubing
factor of 166 (139 for Priority, Xpresspost, U.S. and
international services, excluding Tracked Packet and Small
Packet) to obtain the volumetric weight in pounds.

From section 6.5.1 in the following document on page  47 of the document.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/parcelserviceguide_en.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It does not appear that volumetric calculations will disappear.

Applying this calculation to a parcel makes sense,  

If there is a change  there could be a narrow range of application... where the general public  will have to pay.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

It is not sure whether Ventureone is defined as commercial.

Ventureone always appeared borderline to the definition of "Commercial" customer...by Canada Post.

This will have to be a wait and see situation... with respect to Ventureone and the general public...

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I highly appreciate the atomic amount of knowledgeable information.

Your kind words of support, really made my day.

RON.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply