Where do buyers get off?

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
I honestly cant figure out the thought process of some buyers.

I have a classical acoustic guitar listed that I managed to get a supply of at a very good price and, as such I am able to sell on eBay for a very good price.

I even offered free shipping if someone uses the BIN and pays within 24 hours.

I received an email this afternoon that I dont even feel like responding to where the buyer asks me to throw in a hard shell case for free if they win the auction for the guitar.

Hard shell cases cost more than this darn guitar costs.

Its almost like someone selling a CD and getting a request to throw in a free CD player.

Malcolm

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Where do buyers get off?

mevans_dot_net
Community Member
Wouldn't happen to be your high bidder, would it? Nice username. I'm thinking this is only the beginning of your troubles!
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Where do buyers get off?

deltone
Community Member
Some buyers are such idyuts. Don't even know what to say about this one. I wouldn't respond Malcolm. A total waste of time.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Where do buyers get off?

inventaires
Community Member
Hey....welcome in business my friend, I`ve been dealing with people for over 20 years now....and this will never change....people say stupid things sometimes to get free stuff !!!....don`t worry, just answer the customer and think about the next thing you have to do.....avoid frustration and think like a business individual.....that`s my best suggestion for you

NAd
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Where do buyers get off?

shoplineca
Community Member
NAd
Its not a problem however I find that with eBay, and I assume the non-personal nature and somewhat anonymity of email, that the number of dumb questions and the severity of them more than triples over what one would get in a 'one-on-one' situation.

I had responded to the person's question and will likely be selling the individual something completely different than what he was looking at on the eBay listing that I had.

If I had a car dealership and someone said they would purchase a car I had if I threw in a CD player, that would be an acceptable request, but to ask me to build them a garage would be a very stupid request.

This guy's question was a very stupid request.

I have also learned than with about 50% of the stupid requests that I get come about 50% of my problem customers, so I tread a little more cuatiously with these ones.

Malcolm
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Where do buyers get off?

ospreylinks
Community Member
I agree Malcolm. I get a number of off-the-wall queries as well and normally just shake my head.

Some I respond with an equally stupid reply like why don't I just mail you a $20. bill and we will call it even, because that would be cheaper than trying to accomodate their request. And some I reply and remind people that we are in business to achieve a reasonable profit margin and when all is said and done our pricing as listed is fair...

Alot of it comes from the nature of Ebay... Lets face it, it is the biggest garage sale in the world.

Jeff
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Where do buyers get off?

deltone
Community Member
I actually had one gal who questioned whether I would offer her combined shipping on an item I sent her. (My auctions state I do combine shipping). I saw that she had only purchased one item from me but had bought another item from another seller. Because I didn't understand her question as she worded it rather strangely, I asked her to clarify.

Seems she wanted me to offer her combine shipping costs as she bought one from me and one from a totally different seller. DUH!!!!! I of course wrote her back and told her I could not accommodate her request, seeing that I was not sending her the other item that she didn't buy from me. SHEESH
Message 7 of 7
latest reply