Where do you source your packaging material in Canada?

Hi,

I find it hard to source cheap boxes and packaging material. I am currently paying around 0.5$ per box and some extras for the bubble wrap from Uline which is costing me a fortune after shipping! I should look for a local dealer.

Does anyone has a local box dealer I can buy from here in Montreal?

I am sure that many sellers in other regions and provinces are also looking for a cheaper packaging, so if anyone thinks he has a good deal let us know about it 🙂

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Whether you use recycled boxes  or new boxes  might depend on what you sell.

The boxes used by me  are  those  that would have gone to recycling.

I take the boxes  and very quickly make a box  for each book... or other inventory to be sent through the mail.

Many businesses recycle their boxes.....   Using them  adds another step before they actually get recycled.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

"Whether you use recycled boxes  or new boxes  might depend on what you sell."

That is a very valid observation.

Personally, I use new materials exclusively.

Protective cardboard is purchased from a local printer (cut to size). For larger envelopes, I use plastic corrugated (Coreplast or equivalent) available in large 4'x8' sheets which I cut to sizes fitting 6x9, 9x12 or 10x13 envelopes. It is available from art supplies retailers and some building supplies retailers (Home Depot, etc)

Plastic bags (I buy 10,000 - various sizes - at the time), set-up and corrugated boxes, tape, etc... are purchased from Staples Industrial (formerly Chiswick Packaging). They ship nationwide.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

A friend of mine works through a local packaging company and gets their seconds, misprints etc, he gets them quite cheap and also is able to get good quantities. Problems are that they are printed and he has to adapt to the sizes available. Might be worth contacting some of your local packaging companies to see if you can do the same thing, also is a "green" solution too!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Turn the boxes...

Inside - out

This what I do... and have no extraneous markings on the outside of my parcels...

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

and I custom prepare my box for each item that I will be shipping...

Resize the boxes for a large item.... effectively starting with a larger box and cutting down to size...  re-glue  and add tape...

because shipping cost is based on the size of the box  and not weight

Customized boxes for shipping books.... based on the size of the book.....

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member

I get my boxes from local retailers.

Yes they're used but most of them you can't even tell that they've been used. Some don't even have printing on except for a # or so.

I prefer the ones from a drugstore or a kitchenware store. I pick up a whole pile and sort through them. The dirty ones will be recycled, the clean ones I'll use.

I have not bought one box so far and never had any complaints about buyers not liking the box their item was shipped in.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

"I get my boxes from local retailers."

Myself included. Though i seldom use boxes i sometimes have to ship a ball cap.

We have all got to know the staff at the postal outlets & all are more than willing to set a few boxes aside just for the asking.

Boxes from the Cosmetics & Magazine Departments are usually the best, very strong,sturdy & come in various sizes.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi there.  I am in the Montreal area too.  I don't buy boxes so this may or may not be helpful but I recently found a packaging supplier for bubble mailers that is the best deal in town and they are close to my workplace so I don't have to take a hit on shipping:

http://www.carrousel.ca/

You can call them for a quote which is what I did.

I hope this helps!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply