Which Starfrit digital scale to use in order to provide shipping rates?

I'd like to start posting my items and providing a shipping rate depending on the buyer's location. I have always offered free shipping but would like to try providing shipping rates when listing items. 

Which Starfrit digital scale is ideal for this? (Apparently it's sold for $20 when on sale at Canadian Tire). They have many options.

Thank you for any answers! 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have a Starfrit scale that was being recommended in these forums back 1-2 years or so.  It appears that the design has changed slightly but the following model on sale at Canadian Tire appears to be the closest looking model to what I have. It has the same looking buttons and LCD display only the shape of the plastic base has changed. If you read the older reviews they apply to the model I have.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/GadgetsAccessories/Gadgets/PRD~0424076P/Starfrit...

It is currently on sale for $9.99 plus taxes and environmental fee in some provinces.

There is another model on sale that is a slim low profile model. I prefer the model above because the glass platform is above allowing you to reach the buttons.

One trick I like with the model above is the zero function. Place an item on the scale and you can press the zero button and it resets the weight to zero. Remove the item and it will show the weight with a negative sign in front. Ignore the negative and  you have your package weight.

This is useful if you have a larger box that covers the readout so you cannot see the weight. Place the item on the scale, reach under and press the zero button, remove the package and the negative weight is there to see. If you cannot reach under because your hand is too big and lifts the box changing the weight, just place the scale on the edge of a table or desk and then there is lots of room for your hand to reach under to the buttons.

I have had my Starfrit scale for 2 years and it is still accurate within a gram or two. I have another digital postal scale (cost me $50 10 years ago and only goes to 2.5 kg)  and can compare the two. Years ago I took some round stones from the garden and washed and cleaned them and wrote down the weight of each stone on the stone in a black marker.  I did this for my postal scale when it was new. I had verified my scale with the post office by checking packages I had weighed at home with the post office scale when I mailed them.  I use these as my standard weight to check my scales every few months to make sure they are accurate. (You can buy real scale weights but not worth the money since you can make your own like I did.)

I found an used Starfrit scale at Value Village for $4.99 one day so I have 2 Starfrits (same model) and a Sunbeam scale.

I hope this helps you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I have a Starfrit scale that was being recommended in these forums back 1-2 years or so.  It appears that the design has changed slightly but the following model on sale at Canadian Tire appears to be the closest looking model to what I have. It has the same looking buttons and LCD display only the shape of the plastic base has changed. If you read the older reviews they apply to the model I have.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/GadgetsAccessories/Gadgets/PRD~0424076P/Starfrit...

It is currently on sale for $9.99 plus taxes and environmental fee in some provinces.

There is another model on sale that is a slim low profile model. I prefer the model above because the glass platform is above allowing you to reach the buttons.

One trick I like with the model above is the zero function. Place an item on the scale and you can press the zero button and it resets the weight to zero. Remove the item and it will show the weight with a negative sign in front. Ignore the negative and  you have your package weight.

This is useful if you have a larger box that covers the readout so you cannot see the weight. Place the item on the scale, reach under and press the zero button, remove the package and the negative weight is there to see. If you cannot reach under because your hand is too big and lifts the box changing the weight, just place the scale on the edge of a table or desk and then there is lots of room for your hand to reach under to the buttons.

I have had my Starfrit scale for 2 years and it is still accurate within a gram or two. I have another digital postal scale (cost me $50 10 years ago and only goes to 2.5 kg)  and can compare the two. Years ago I took some round stones from the garden and washed and cleaned them and wrote down the weight of each stone on the stone in a black marker.  I did this for my postal scale when it was new. I had verified my scale with the post office by checking packages I had weighed at home with the post office scale when I mailed them.  I use these as my standard weight to check my scales every few months to make sure they are accurate. (You can buy real scale weights but not worth the money since you can make your own like I did.)

I found an used Starfrit scale at Value Village for $4.99 one day so I have 2 Starfrits (same model) and a Sunbeam scale.

I hope this helps you.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

OMG! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I purchased the scale this weekend and just saw your post now, luckily I purchased the one you recommended, $9.99 on sale at Canadian Tire! 

I started using it yesterday and it makes things run smoother than compared to not having a scale. Now I'm trying to learn how to provide shiipping rates to several countries, slowly but surely will get there. Hope to learn a few tricks to make this a speedy, no fuss experience.

Thanks for the "zero" button tip! HELPFUL!

😄

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Hi,

I  always use the Cnaadian 2 dollar coin to check my scale, it` weights 7 grams.

I also used it sometimes to check the scales at  local  retail postal outlets.

Ron.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I have the same scale mentioned in Poco's post (older model) and I owned it for about 1-2 year. It's off by 1g occasionally and that's still good enough (or perhaps the post office's scale was off, who knows lol)! Haven't had any issues with running back and forth the post office since I got this scale. Best $15 (tax and environmental fee) investment I ever made! My mom sometimes borrow it for cooking purpose as well and I have seen it been used in cooking shows too. You have to buy the battery for this but I haven't had to change the battery since I got it the first time. I use it probably once or twice a week, not very often.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

$1 CDN coin (loonie) weighs 7 grams, $2 CDN coin (toonie) weighs 7.3 grams.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It depends if you are using old or new toonies!

Prior to 2012, the coin consisted of an aluminium bronze inner core with a pure nickel outer ring; however in spring 2012 the composition of the inner core switched to aluminium bronze coated with multi-ply plated brass, and the outer ring switched to steel coated with multi-ply plated nickel.

The weight dropped from 7.30 to 6.92 grams, and the thickness changed from 1.8 to 1.75 millimetres. The Mint states that multi-ply plated steel technology, already used in Canada's smaller coinage, produces an electromagnetic signature that is harder to counterfeit than that for regular alloy coins; also, using steel provides cost savings and avoids fluctuations in price or supply of nickel.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Which coin are you talking about?
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The Canadian toonies as indicated in the first line of my post.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the information regarding the new weight, but I'm afraid it got a little lost in the superfluousness.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply