Who is responsible for return shipping costs if product was packaged poorly and damaged in transit?

rdmacl
Community Member

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Who is responsible for return shipping costs if product was packaged poorly and damaged in transit?

In long......

That is the eBay policy.

However, your seller cannot send you a Return Shipping Label if he is not in Canada.

EBay will sometimes send a Canada Post Return Shipping Label to an unhappy buyer and then charge the cost to the seller on his monthly bill.

I'm not clear how this is supposed to be activated, but I would start by phoning Customer Support.

The weekday /9 to 5 clerks are in Utah and speak English, but are often confused by concepts such as Canada.

The other clerks are in the Phillipines where English is a second language, but the jobs are coveted and well paid so the clerks are better educated.

In either case, pee first and have a good book and a beverage. You may be on Hold a bit.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

In short: the seller. You have a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) case if the item got wrecked en route due to poor packing. Open a returns request in the Resolution Centre citing your item is Not as Described due to improper handling. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

In long......

That is the eBay policy.

However, your seller cannot send you a Return Shipping Label if he is not in Canada.

EBay will sometimes send a Canada Post Return Shipping Label to an unhappy buyer and then charge the cost to the seller on his monthly bill.

I'm not clear how this is supposed to be activated, but I would start by phoning Customer Support.

The weekday /9 to 5 clerks are in Utah and speak English, but are often confused by concepts such as Canada.

The other clerks are in the Phillipines where English is a second language, but the jobs are coveted and well paid so the clerks are better educated.

In either case, pee first and have a good book and a beverage. You may be on Hold a bit.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Sorry--- Start by opening the SNAD Dispute. If you get stuck on the Return Shipping Label, go to Customer Support.

The automated system is usually the simplest and fastest way to get a refund.

Also-- ask the seller if photographs of the damaged parcel and contents would be satisfactory. If it is something like broken glass, this is usually preferable all around.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply