Why am I being charged import duties on items less than $20 coming to Canada buy Pitney?

In Canada we do not have to pay duties or taxes on any item coming across the border from the U.S.A. if less than $20.00 cdn.

In my case I buy used toys which fall under this exemption.

I also noticed alot of U.S. sellers are using Pitney Bowes. Since they don't provide insurance - just use USPS 1st class!

When any parcel comes across the border from the U.S. it gets a tracking # even if you didn't ask for this service.

This has been done due to the always increasing security levels across our borders.

I can use this (customs #) to track my parcel via Canada Post.

If the parcel gets lost our custom services get into big trouble as this is not suppose to happen - period.

I have been avoiding doing busines with many U.S. sellers with regards to paying these duties.

I avoid buying a $10.00 toy because I might end up paying $20 to $30 for shipping, handling and unrequired "duties".

I find myself doing alot more business with the E. U. and Great Britain (ie, not being charged duties)

Thanks Bill

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Why am I being charged import duties on items less than $20 coming to Canada buy Pitney?

@billybudsinus wrote:

In Canada we do not have to pay duties or taxes on any item coming across the border from the U.S.A. if less than $20.00 cdn.

In my case I buy used toys which fall under this exemption.

I also noticed alot of U.S. sellers are using Pitney Bowes. Since they don't provide insurance - just use USPS 1st class!

When any parcel comes across the border from the U.S. it gets a tracking # even if you didn't ask for this service.

This has been done due to the always increasing security levels across our borders.

I can use this (customs #) to track my parcel via Canada Post.

If the parcel gets lost our custom services get into big trouble as this is not suppose to happen - period.

I have been avoiding doing busines with many U.S. sellers with regards to paying these duties.

I avoid buying a $10.00 toy because I might end up paying $20 to $30 for shipping, handling and unrequired "duties".

I find myself doing alot more business with the E. U. and Great Britain (ie, not being charged duties)

Thanks Bill

Hi Bill,

Can you please email me the Item Number so we can look into this for you?

Thanks, 

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 2 of 2
latest reply