Why buyers open paypal disputes instead of ebay disputes?

Every buyer who can't read my listing then starts complaining has opened paypal disputes. Why exactly don't they open ebay disputes?

Do they hope they can get a refund directly from paypal because with ebay they would lose the dispute automatically because they failed to do things that are clearly written in my listing that are required?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

First

You can put whatever you like in your Terms of Sale, but if you take Paypal you make refunds.

Once the IMEI has been processed (marked as shipped) there is absolutely no cancellations allowed.I am making this notice to protect my self against unreasonable claims.

Nope not enforceable.

And likely a reason that your unhappy customers don't go to eBay, where they may think they would not be able to dispute their transaction.

Then

EBay only allows 30 days after the delivery for a dispute. Some customers may find that too short.

And

You are actually better off with a Paypal dispute, since eBay requires the seller to pay for return of the item, while PP makes returns (with confirmation of delivery) on the buyer.

It also occurs to me that by picturing a phone in your listing, some of your buyers may think they are buying a phone.

And I am guessing you are not selling a physical thing but a digital download (or something techie like that)?

Digital sales are handled quite differently than physical ones.

Since you already have one neg from an unhappy customer and are complaining about others, I suggest you take a look at your Seller Account, especially the accumulating Defects from those Disputes.

EBay closes down sellers who lose Disputes. Including ones through PP where they have to give up their fees.

They also close down sellers who include their own websites in their Terms of Sale. Promoting off-eBay sales is definitely not allowed.

Every buyer who can't read my listing then starts complaining

Maybe you should make your listing less complicated?

The Description is not the place for instructions on use.

Remember that many, perhaps most, of your customers are shopping on their phones. Can they even read all that text?

Have your listing read by someone who uses a phone the way most people drive a car. Perhaps your grandmother, if she isn't a systems analyst or technical writer.

And listen to her advice.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@plans4canada wrote:

Every buyer who can't read my listing then starts complaining has opened paypal disputes. Why exactly don't they open ebay disputes?

Do they hope they can get a refund directly from paypal because with ebay they would lose the dispute automatically because they failed to do things that are clearly written in my listing that are required?

The ad I looked at was not exactly clearly written.

For example:

Processing Time: 1-5 WORKING DAYS (MAX 7 DAYS). Generally within 72hrs

really should be

Processing Time: 1-7 BUSINESS DAYS.

Another example:

IMEI Supported: Unpaid bills, In Contract, Blacklist, Lost, Stolen

makes it look like you are unlocking phones that are blacklisted, lost or stolen

Far too much "fine" print about how you don't issue cancellations or refunds to dumb buyers.

You should specify up near the top that:

DO NOT buy if you do not know EVERYTHING about your device.

And things like: Visit us at: www.---.ca are against eBay's site rules.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

So then that means I might as well stop selling on ebay if I have no protection.

Those instructions and Terms of Sale are there because otherwise I would lose money. Once IMEI is submitted, order cannot be canceled, my supplier doesn't allow it. I pay the supplier to submit my IMEI.

So if there is no way to protect myself by clearly stating these terms of services, why would sellers still sell on ebay?

Also, if feels that all disputes should be made through ebay. Feels like if a buyer doesn't win his way, then he will jump probably to ebay, and vice versa.

I'll monitor and see what happens but I'll probably take my listings down if that is the case. Then again, I've read plenty of seller's threads where they get scammed for even shipping physical items. Then paypal refunds the buyer after they used it for 5 months and they return it (now that paypal allows 180 days to open a dispute). The lawnmower listing is the first to come to mind.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

There are 140 million transactions worldwide on eBay every day.
A percentage will go pear-shaped.
Ratios.
If a seller has 150 failures out of 150,000 sales, he's doing fine. If he has one failure out of ten, he's out of business.

And some products are not meant for mail order. Online selling is just old fashioned mail order is a clever plastic disguise.

Digital products are one of the difficult products. EBay offers very little protection to sellers because the seller cannot prove he ever supplied anything. Unless and until the seller is able to prove otherwise, he must build the cost of failed transactions into the price of his goods.

For physical products, eBay does offer quite a bit of protection to both buyers and sellers. The requirement that the product be returned for a refund is one, no matter who pays for the return.

Sellers are here for a 24/7 world wide marketplace with fast payment and an overall friendly and enthusiastic customer base.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply