Why did I just pay for shipping twice?

I am very confused as to what I paid for shipping costs. I did write when the auction ended, prior to paying but I got no response and didn't want to be dinged for non payment.  On the listing it said shipping was going to be just over 10 dollars, which I paid.  However there was another charge of over 30 dollars for shipping billed through paypal to another company.   I thought it might be some sort of express shipping, but I found nowhere to de select, so it was a mandatory selection.  Why am I paying 2 separate people for shipping.  Ive bought a fair amount of guitars on ebay from across the world and have a good idea of what it should cost..  Im not angry just confused, a 25 dollar deal just cost me over 40 dollars to get it to my house.
Please help me out as to what happened.
Thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@framusman78 wrote:

I am very confused as to what I paid for shipping costs. I did write when the auction ended, prior to paying but I got no response and didn't want to be dinged for non payment.  On the listing it said shipping was going to be just over 10 dollars, which I paid.  However there was another charge of over 30 dollars for shipping billed through paypal to another company.   I thought it might be some sort of express shipping, but I found nowhere to de select, so it was a mandatory selection.  Why am I paying 2 separate people for shipping.  Ive bought a fair amount of guitars on ebay from across the world and have a good idea of what it should cost..  Im not angry just confused, a 25 dollar deal just cost me over 40 dollars to get it to my house.
Please help me out as to what happened.
Thanks

Hi framusman78,

Here's a Help page that explains the Global Shipping Program - sounds like this was at play, given the 2 payments you described.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Probably this is the Global Shipping Program.

The first charge is for shipping by the seller.

The second charge covers charges by Pitney Bowes for insurance, tracking, Canadian customs, Canadian sales taxes, and a service charge of about $5.

If you look back at the original listing, you will see these spelled out.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

how are you?.........this has happen to me too....its called inport charge.by paypal..and i live in canada.any item under $80.its NO custom charge.....this is what i think they charge you.....i got my money back by paypal.call them...i hope this info help you?  thank you!  kimberly

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

so many time there is no custom or tax but still they are charging. Same kind of stuff i bought from Honk Kong and china or other countries there was no extra cost.. This is another way to make money by E bay and put small seller down
Message 5 of 5
latest reply