Why do some vendors charge EXORBITANT GS charges and others charge none for the same item??

I have REPEATEDLY found that whereas some US vendors DO NOT charge Global Shipping to Canadian customers for items, others,  many times even when the vendors are in the same city, charge EXORBITANT Global Shipping for EXACTLY the same item. 

I recently purchased 2 identical items for USD 10.00 from  a vendor in the US who shipped them to me in Toronto in one package  for USD 10.50 - NO GLOBAL SHIPPING CHARGE. At the same time I purchased ONE more identical item from another vendor, located physically closer to Toronto but still in the US,  who charged me USD 7.75 Shipping PLUS 15.00 GLOBAL SHIPPING for a total of USD 24.00.

HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL? To me it seems like any easy way for some vendors to RIP-OFF Canadian customers. I will certainly NEVER BUY ANYTHING AGAIN FROM ANY VENDOR who charges Global Shipping. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Why do some vendors charge EXORBITANT GS charges and others charge none for the same item??

@sobotic_research wrote:

I have REPEATEDLY found that whereas some US vendors DO NOT charge Global Shipping to Canadian customers for items, others,  many times even when the vendors are in the same city, charge EXORBITANT Global Shipping for EXACTLY the same item. 

I recently purchased 2 identical items for USD 10.00 from  a vendor in the US who shipped them to me in Toronto in one package  for USD 10.50 - NO GLOBAL SHIPPING CHARGE. At the same time I purchased ONE more identical item from another vendor, located physically closer to Toronto but still in the US,  who charged me USD 7.75 Shipping PLUS 15.00 GLOBAL SHIPPING for a total of USD 24.00.

HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL? To me it seems like any easy way for some vendors to RIP-OFF Canadian customers. I will certainly NEVER BUY ANYTHING AGAIN FROM ANY VENDOR who charges Global Shipping. 

Very simple do not buy from sellers using the gsp  Rip Off ,there is no better answer,,point blanc its a scam,avoid at all costs

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program is a Seller Protection program.

It does almost nothing for buyers.

The US/GSP seller ships to the GSP plant in Kentucky. There his responsibility for delivery ends.

Shipping domestically even with Confirmation of Delivery is very very cheap.

Shipping internationally is much more expensive.

https://ircalc.usps.com/

Once in KY-- and don't get excited about that, the USPS /FedEx/UPS all use the same type of 'hub and spoke' shipping model-- your purchase is packed with hundreds of others which have, like yours, already cleared customs, and the truck heads for the border.

The import fees you pay are made up of Canadian duty on any import valued over $20 (~$16USD) plus Canadian Sales Taxes plus a service fee to the GSP of about $5.

If your purchases were both $10USD (about $12 CDN) there should not have been any duty or sales tax. There might have been a service charge. That's always been unclear on what it covers.

Certainly, the seller who charged you $7.50USD for shipping. was correct not to use the GSP for a low value item like that.

It is a sensible move to avoid GSP shipping when the value of your item is under $50USD perhaps even $100USD unless the item is very bulky.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply