Why has shipping to Canada increased so much in 2013 (doubled in many cases). This change will seriously reduce my eBay buying.

This must be an eBay issue because the same is not true in Ioffer , the webstore and other similar sites. It's noticeable because I purchase from the same groups of sellers regularly and often.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Why has shipping to Canada increased so much in 2013 (doubled in many cases). This change will seriously reduce my eBay buying.

Are your favoured sellers using Calculated Shipping on all sites? If your seller is using Flat Rate shipping, he may not have updated rates after the January changes from both Canada Post and :USPS.

If he is using Calculated, he may have unthinkingly gone to the new Tracked Parcel service from Canada Post, although as far as I can see Expedited is still cheaper, offers much the same coverage, and includes a substantial discount when printed through Paypal. US sellers may have decided to move from the cheap and fast but untracked First Class International to the Delivery Confirmed Global Priority.

But your best bet is to ask your seller. Especially if you are a repeat customer, you can ask for his best price on shipping. Your track record as a customer may allow him the emotional space to use a cheaper service.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Both the US Post Office and Canada Post increased there rates recently.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

mygamedealer
Community Member

Hi,

I have noticed this myself. I paid for an auction item and paid the seller. The seller refused to ship unless I gave him another $13 in shipping costs. I asked the seller to mutally cancel the item he refused, I opened a case through Ebay and lost???????  I ended up haveing to pay the extra as I did not know what else to do.

I also purchased a buy it now the same week and after the seller shipped, I received an e-mail asking for another $5 in shipping costs.

Isn't it against Ebay policy to add shipping charges AFTER purchase?

Any coments would be helpful.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Sellers are not allowed to demand more for shipping than they advertise.

However, there are a couple of caveats to that.

If the seller does not give a shipping fee for your location, and you buy anyway, he can charge whatever he thinks is fair.

Often a new eBayer will see the US shipping price and be shocked to learn that shipping to Canada is (legitimately) much higher.

So make sure the seller gives you a firm quote ("around 5 bucks" is not a firm quote, "$5.63 by First Class International" is a firm quote.)

If a seller demands more money after the sale, when a firm price to your location was advertised, let him know that you bid on the basis of the advertised cost, and will agree to a Mutual Cancellation.

Now you have choices:

He folds and ships for the advertised price. You leave feedback.

He sends the MC request. You agree and leave feedback. /You refuse and leave feedback. /You ignore and leave feedback.

He starts an Unpaid Item Dispute. You note his demand for higher shipping. He is reprimanded and you are released from the deal.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I was noticing this myself; and that shipping quotes from eBay from US to Caanda has basically doubled in value the last month. I know shipping prices increase occasionally; but a 90-95% sudden increase seems a bit unrealistic and quite unlikely. I am fairly certain that if postal rates did basically double, there would have been some mention of this online or in the news.

eBay needs to check/fix their shipping calculators; until then I am not buying. I will not pay 7$ in shipping for a postard; or 20$ for a book.

This is seriously broken.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply