Why have my bids and questions to the seller about the objects being sold have been blocked?

4 REPLIES 4

Why have my bids and questions to the seller about the objects being sold have been blocked?

Some sellers don't want any questions about their offerings.

If this is annoying (and I would find it infuriating) don't bid.

It won't get better.

Other reasons for Blocks may be:

The seller does not ship to Canada

You have Unpaid Item Strikes

You do not have an active Paypal account.

You have bought too much too quickly from this seller.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hello 'dpol.1975', 

<<Why have my bids and questions to the seller about the objects being sold have been blocked?>>

For some reason there are a few sellers around who interpret any query as a potential hazard.  You do not say how often you contacted the seller or what your questions were about, but if you have an honest look at your emails sent perhaps you can find a clue there.  

Too many questions can be perceived as a bad sign, but on the bright side this seller is obviously not someone from whom you would wish to buy.  They can block just about anyone they feel like.  So now you are free to bestow your business on a more worthy recipient.   

Happy shopping. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

What did the block message state, specifically? There are different messages for different block-reasons. 

What question(s) had you posed? Some sellers find that many or repeated questions from a potential buyer puts their back up, particularly if the information being probed is already explicitly stated in the listing, or if the question goes something like this: 'How come you're selling that for so much? I can get it (wherever) for (whatever) but since I like to make things difficult for people, I'm going to try and snipe it from you.'  I am being facetious, of course. For my money as a buyer, I wouldn't like to bid on something from a seller that won't give me the time of day BEFORE they have my money because it doesn't bode well for any potential problems with the item after the fact.

There are other auto-blocks that may come into play, however, like those listed by the other Community member that answered this question. Therefore, it may not be at all personal. Or it may be VERY personal. Sellers are also allowed to initiate a block on members for whom a significant number of untoward activity reports (beyond Unpaid Items) have been filed by other sellers. Like for feedback extortion etc. 

If it were me that were blocked from bidding or communicating, I'd ask myself if I had done anything to warrant it. If I knew for certain that my conscience (and unpaid item record) was clean, I'd look at my purchasing history. Some sellers require paypal accounts, others don't. Some ship only to places with which they are comfortable, others are more willing to take risks to foreign countries. Some limit the number of bids or purchases any one person can make within a short period of time to mitigate the damage that may be done by thrill-bidders or someone mean-spiritied who may design to disrupt the successful resolution of their auctions. 

The bottom-line is that you cannot do much about it now. Look to another seller, one who is willing to play ball. There is certainly no shortage of us! Many, many sellers on ebay. Most are more than happy to talk about their items for sale.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I've blocked people who were asking obviously dumb questions. For example my listings are FULL of terms & conditions about why I only ship with tracking and yes I know that costs more, and yes I know canada post charges a lot to ship to the USA or internationally with tracking. So then asking why its so expensive or if they can get a cheaper non-tracked option because they've got 100% feedback... well those are dumb questions. Clearly they couldn't be bothered to read my item listings so what else have they failed to comprehend which I wish no part of. I've also blocked people who are themselves sellers who messaged simply to moan about my terms & conditions, and my prices, because there's no chance for them to buy my items to then re-flip for a profit, or they're losing business to me, or they're experiencing problem buyers by not having any terms and conditions or following ebay rules (like needing to have tracked shipping to achieve top-rated seller status). I just blocked a buyer yesterday who at 7 days still hadn't paid and I didn't want to chance him buying something else and then having it tied-up off the market again for another week. Looking at his feedback he had a positive in the past six months from a seller which read "Did not pay". Which is the only way for sellers to let anyone else know about buyers who fail to pay. Although you'd think that with ebay changing the seller terms again to remove feedback from the seller defect criteria altogether, that they'd bring back the ability for sellers to leave neutral/negative feedbacks.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply