Why is Canadian shipping from the US so costly. I looked it up at US postal services website and 1 i

Why is Canadian shipping from the US so costly? i looked it up on the US postal services website and 1 pin in an envelope would cost $1.30 for priority US international shipping. On ebay it is $6.00 or more for 1 pin, then they add additional pins with extra charges. Also I purchased a pin, the shipping on the ebay site said $1.55 but was charge $7.55 for one small pin that weights about an ounce. the ebay seller would not change the shipping price that should be classified as false advertisement on the part of the ebay seller, and like a store if the price is posted at a certain price it goes to the consumer for the posted price. Is this ebays way of making more money off the consumer?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why is Canadian shipping from the US so costly. I looked it up at US postal services website and 1 i

The UK site calls "shipping and handling" Postage and Packaging, and that name may explain some of the difference.

I would be very unhappy to recieve a brooch tossed into an envelope loose and dropped in the mail. I would expect at least wrapping in bubble wrap and perhaps a bubble envelope and more likely a small box with cotton wool padding in a bubble envelope. And bubblewrap , bubble envelopes and boxes ain't free.

Then there is the question of Delivery Confirmation, this is so cheap in the USA (25c or less) that sellers expect to use it. However, international Delivery Confirmation is more expensive.

Another thing that happens is that Canadian buyers confuse domestic (within the US) shipping rates with shipping rates to Canada. With the $1.55 to $7.55 jump, did you enter your postal code on the shipping page to get the S&H or did you just look at the description page on eBaydotCOM which would show the cost of shipping domestically?

You are correct however, eBay sellers are not allowed to raise the S&H after the sale. However, I suspect this is not the reason for the difference. If you post the listing number we can try to spot the problem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The UK site calls "shipping and handling" Postage and Packaging, and that name may explain some of the difference.

I would be very unhappy to recieve a brooch tossed into an envelope loose and dropped in the mail. I would expect at least wrapping in bubble wrap and perhaps a bubble envelope and more likely a small box with cotton wool padding in a bubble envelope. And bubblewrap , bubble envelopes and boxes ain't free.

Then there is the question of Delivery Confirmation, this is so cheap in the USA (25c or less) that sellers expect to use it. However, international Delivery Confirmation is more expensive.

Another thing that happens is that Canadian buyers confuse domestic (within the US) shipping rates with shipping rates to Canada. With the $1.55 to $7.55 jump, did you enter your postal code on the shipping page to get the S&H or did you just look at the description page on eBaydotCOM which would show the cost of shipping domestically?

You are correct however, eBay sellers are not allowed to raise the S&H after the sale. However, I suspect this is not the reason for the difference. If you post the listing number we can try to spot the problem.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Actually the shipping and handling was for Canadain international shipping. I always have it in Canadian shipping. It was free shipping in the US. I am sure if it was a different country it would cost more, since Canada is their neighboring country. It did not have to go overseas. The ebayers I bought from was international shipping to Canada was $1.55, posted on his site, not $7.55 I was charged. I would of never purchased or bid on it then. I only did so because it said it was $1.55 to Canada. Ebay sellers have a responsibility to make sure their postage rates are correct or else the rate should be changed or the contract void.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Australian Shepherd I too would like to know why shipping costs are so inconsistent coming from U.S. sellers to Canadian buyers..So far I have been told that when they list their items on ebay.com that the shipping method automatically defaults to International Priority Shipping to Canada which is very expensive, sometimes as much as 3-4 times+ than if the seller had chosen First Class Mail (providing of course that the item being shipped qualified for this shipping method)..I have bought literally hundreds of items from US sellers over the last 10 years I have been on eBay, and I have to say that I no longer purchase anything from across the border anymore because of the shipping rates and also this newly added global import charge that is automatically added to your order, which in my opinion is just another money grab by eBay, seeing that when your parcel is received by the post office here anywhere in Canada, that you have to pay these same fees again in order to get your item from the clutches of the postal workers..lol...Also just as a reminder to sellers in the US, you might want to change your shipping method to Canadians when at all possible, because remember this, the higher the rate you charge for shipping, the more money eBay makes off of that. That to me is highway robbery, making money off the shipping rate! Shame on you eBay!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Refuse to buy from any seller who uses GSP. Write to them and tell them. Call eBay and tell them too.

Make your voice heard and waste their time and money like they are wasting ours.

Come on Canada. Stop taking it in the cheek.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply