Why isn't there a way to select adds that are listed in Canadian Dollars.

gagjag
Community Member

With our lousy Canadian dollar so undervalued, I usually skim through adds looking for ones that are in Canadian Dollars only. Usually by the time you buy an item in US dollars, and pay the ever changing Paypal Exchange rate, you are not getting a deal at all. I think a lot of sellers realize this and will list in Canadian Dollars, so it would be nice to have a check-box to show listings in Canadian Dollars only!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

As a Canadian sellers with items located in Canada listed in CAD, I do agree. 

The best ebay offers is the Item Location filter at bottom left of your search results page. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 3.26.38 PM.png

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

And then look for the price in CAD to stand upright (second item) and not display italics. Italics here means converted to CAD. From USD. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 3.27.25 PM.png

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

and then you find out that the seller is a canadian but the item is in USA.Or you choose Canada and pop up Chinese seller.This couple of days i spent more time on ebay and i will start taking notes and items number and going to bring this to the att of Raphael.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

on top of that this best match real joke.The small sellers we have this under our listing try some of the big stores name on eBay you will see non matches there
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I already know how to find listings that are actually in Canadian dollars. My problem is having access to a filter to only show those adds! They give you filters for everything else. It would only take a few minutes for their web guys to figure that one out. I spend enough money here to at least deserve something so simple. I don't need the US to Canadian conversion because it is always right out to lunch by the time you go through Paypal.................and it's never in your favour!

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I'm saying it's not so hard to do while we wait for them to create a filter to do what you're asking for.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

It's not so hard to do??? I had already asked them about this filter 2 years ago when the Canadian dollar went for a **bleep**. Sometimes there are over 500-1500 items in the same category that you are searching..............

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I'm saying it's not so hard to do while we wait for them to create a filter to do what you're asking for.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

If this is something you feel strongly about, I suggest you make your wishes known to eBay Canada staff during Board Hour on Wednesdays. But you'd need to do that without hostility. In the meantime, use the workaround I suggested. Or don't, if it doesn't suit you. 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

THere is no filter to isolate $C listings but there is s way now  to make it a bit easier to look on the search page and see the currency the item was listed in.  You might be aware of it but In case you're not....

On the search page click on view, customize and uncheck 'convert prices to Canadian dollars'. All listings will be shown only in their own currency.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Also a good tip. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Been there done that. Still doesn't help when looking through multiple pages. I still have to scan through them all to see the ones that are in Canadian dollars. I'm starting to shop much more on Amazon.ca

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Is that so? The other ecommerce site you mention makes no effort whatsoever to display the location of the item its sellers are offering. 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

To be fair, it does show if a seller has their location set. Not necessarily the exact city, but it does at least show province/state (if applicable) and country.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Does it? I've never seen that on any of the items I've looked at there. The fact that site even allows sellers to not disclose it would seem to me to be counterintuitive to what the Original Poster is lodging a complaint against ebay for not apparently doing well enough. 

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

I think that their complaint is that they want to pay in Canadian dollars without any exchange being involved.  As far as I know all listings on the A .ca site are in Canadian currency already so the price seen is what is paid.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I think that their complaint is that they want to pay in Canadian dollars without any exchange being involved.  As far as I know all listings on the A .ca site are in Canadian currency already so the price seen is what is paid.

Yes that is so.  There are also a few international sites where you can pick your currency and then the prices all show up in that currency and that is what you pay at the checkout.  The world exchange thing is done automatically, and it is exact.  An item for $28.76 CDN with shipping included showing in the listing is $28.76 CDN at the checkout.  I wish eBay would find a way to do that here.  Maybe one day.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I think that their complaint is that they want to pay in Canadian dollars without any exchange being involved.  As far as I know all listings on the A .ca site are in Canadian currency already so the price seen is what is paid.

Yes that is so.  There are also a few international sites where you can pick your currency and then the prices all show up in that currency and that is what you pay at the checkout.  The world exchange thing is done automatically, and it is exact.  An item for $28.76 CDN with shipping included showing in the listing is $28.76 CDN at the checkout.  I wish eBay would find a way to do that here.  Maybe one day.

That is exactly why I started this post. I'm getting tired of getting ripped off on exchange rates. If I can buy an item in Canadian Dollars, that seller will get my business. The estimated Ebay conversion rates usually aren't even close most of the time by the time you use Paypal. Like you said "Maybe one day" LOL

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Like I said before, if you want to find listings in CAD, limit your search to Located in Canada and then pick the currency that is boldface as opposed to boldface italics when viewed as a List. I don't buy from Americans with this account either, and I've literally never found it problematic to source Canadian sellers listing in CAD. 

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Using that one 'Located in Canada' restriction and looking at only the boldface CAD listing prices as opposed to the italicized USD  listing prices, there are fewer than 20 of 200 results actually listed in USD in my favourite search arranged by Best Match.

Or switch this Customization option to show USD clearly without converting it to CAD. Either way, this is not an onerous workaround until the day ebay.ca provides us a 'CAD Only' filter too. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 8.14.25 PM.png

Message 20 of 20
latest reply