Will Never Sell Car on Ebay Again - Never Returned All FVF

I sold a car recently, and of course, buyer never paid or contacted me, no real surprise. I filed an unpaid item dispute. The final value fees ebay took from me when car sold was $60. They refunded $48, and $2 for picture pack. Why would they refund $2 for the picture pack, and not the $60 final value fee? From what I understood, you don't get refunded for the listing fees/picture packs, just the fvf. Where's the remainder of the fvf's they owe me? Does anyone know how refunds on fvf's works on car sales? Maybe I'm missing something. There is no binding contract when selling/buying a car on ebay, which is stupid. Buyers don't take it seriously when they buy expensive items on ebay. There's a binding contract on pretty everything else, why not an expensive item where many fees are involved.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

There is no FVF in vehicle sales. There may be listing and upgrade fees, along with a successful sale fee when the vehicle has a bid above the reserve.

I'm not following you, you got $50 back out of $60?

Photobucket
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The only listing fees I had was $2.00 for the picture pack for up to 24 pictures, can list up to 6 cars free per year, but have to pay for pictures and upgrades. There are fvf's on car sales, it was $60.00. When I requested the fvf after buyer didn't pay, ebay refunded my fvf's, but instead of refunding the $60.00 they charged me, they refunded $48.00 for the fvf's and $2.00 for the picture pack. Strange I know.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

According to the fee schedule you should have received a $60 refund.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/motorfees.html

I suggest you call eBay (Customer Support link at top right) and ask them.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I called Ebay. The response I received was quite confusing.

She started off trying to figure it out, then said to me "there's no record of you calling before, your last call was a long time ago". Weird, what does that have to do with anything. I told her this is my first time calling about this issue. She proceeded to try to figure it out and put me on hold two separate times. Came back and explained to me the $48 is 20% less than the $60 they owed me, and this is because I am a top rated seller, and I receive a 20% discount, and this is why. I said, "So because I'm a top rated seller and receive a 20% discount, I am not entitled to receive a full final value fee credit"?. She said yes. I said, "What does a top rated seller discount have to do with a final value fee credit on a sale, it's two different things, because I'm a top rated seller, I can't receive my full credit"? She said yes, and that I'm not understanding it correctly. I went on to say that I have sold cars before on Ebay with some unsuccessful transactions and always received the full final value fee back. As well as when I sell small value items on a regular basis, some people don't pay, and I always receive the full amount in fvf's back to me, why would this situation be any different, unless Ebay changed their policies, which they have not. She then said hold on for a minute I have to calculate, I could hear her calculating which seemed like forever, what's the difference between $60-$48? Hard I know. Anyhow, she put me on hols again. Came back, and said, "out of courtesy, we will refund you the $12.00". I said, "you couldn't refund me before, but now you can all of a sudden, pretty strange. You must know yourself this situation isn't right, and I don't blame you by any means, you just work there, but none of the excuses make any real sense". She didn't say anything, but, "we will refund the $12.00, it will take up to 24 hours to show in your account". Call ended on a good note. In the end, they refunded me $10.00, better than nothing I'd say!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

mr.elmwood, I just noticed really what you are saying here, "along with a successful sale fee when the vehicle has a bid above the reserve'.

Not every vehicle is sold with a reserve price, as well as the "sale fee" is called "final value fee". This is what I was charged for, $60.00. In which the buyer never contacted me or paid for the car. So I filed an "unpaid item dispute", which resulted in a final value fee credit. Note, I received a final value fee credit of $48.00, instead of the $60.00 in which they initially charged me. Plus a credit for a picture pack of $2.00 thet credited, which was to list 24 pictures for $2.00, instead of paying $0.15 per picture after the first 4 free pictures they offer for free. I have never received a credit for a picture pack before which is strange to me, because it's considered an listing upgrade, I wouldn't expect to get a listing fee back, but only a final value fee on a non successful transaction.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

If you are a top rated seller you would have only paid $48 fvf. The original invoice would say $60 but you would receive 20% off of that amount when you were billed

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Are all amounts being quoted in US dollars?  Or is there an exchange thing going on?

If you are refunded $60 to your Paypal, then the money is moved to your Canadian bank account, there may also be fees.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

In this specific case, the customer service representative from eBay had it right.

FVF was charged at $60 and $12 was rebated through the TRS rebate.  Net cost to seller was $48.

Then eBay refunded $48.

I came across a similar situation years ago when the FVF refunded appeared to be 20% less than charged until I realized the TRS rebate accounted for the difference.

The fact eBay gave a "goodwill" refund in standard business practice for eBay

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Ebay shouldn't make it complicated though. I didn't know fvf credits for unpaid items had anything to do with the 20% discount for being a top rated seller. I didn't realize the 20% discount was on final value fees for the month. They did charge me the $60, not $48, but they later discount 20% in the month for being a top rated seller, so in the end I ended up paying $48? When I sell other items, and file for an unpaid item, I always get credited the same amount they charged me, not 20% less.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

It probably only happens when you have already received the discount on one invoice and then receive the credit on the next month's invoice. If both the fvf charge and credit are on the same invoice, then the discount wouldn't factor in.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply