Will eBay cover shipping costs if the item is broken, defective or not as described?

I am wanting to buy an item from the US that is " Opened, good condition"'. I have never bought an item that wasn't " new". Seller has returns excepted within 14 days, buyer pays return shipping. But my question is, if the item is broken or not working or just not as described, will the eBay money back guarantee refund me my shipping charges, and pay for the return shipping charges? 

I don't want to be out any money if the item is **bleep**

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Will eBay cover shipping costs if the item is broken, defective or not as described?

Seller has returns excepted within 14 days, buyer pays return shipping.

Well, no.

Much as we sellers hate it, eBay often insists that the seller pays return shipping.

Here's the problem.

There is no easy way for the seller to send you the Return Shipping Label that eBay wants him to when the item is Not As Described.

So either he sends you money (Paypal's Send Money service) and you buy the PP shipping label

OR

You send him the Confirmed Delivery parcel on your own dime and hope that he will be honest/ nice enough to refund your return shipping.

And honest or not, every seller detests the forced payment of return shipping, especially since it is dishonestly used by buyers who have changed their minds, were really only renting, or who return an entirely different item

So there's that.

Most sellers are careful to describe exactly what the buyer will and will not get.

Read skeptically.

Ask questions before bidding. And if the questions are ignored or answered poorly, move on.

Look at the seller's feedback, including his feedback left for others and Responses to buyer feedback.

97% is not good feedback.

If the item is not as described are you willing to spend $30 or more to return it?

Are you able to fix it yourself?

Do you know an affordable mechanic who can fix it?

None of this is a criticism of the seller. The problem is the cost of returning an unwanted item internationally.

But I personally would avoid this seller for his unenforceable Terms of Sale.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply