Will my M/C be charged x2 if I made purchase through seller site, then seller requested payment via PayPal?

princessreraw
Community Member

I purchased an item from an online dealer and I was directed to the check-out to submit my payment information. I entered my mastercard information and completed the transaction. Later the same day, I received an e-mail from PayPal, advising me that the seller wanted my payment through PayPal, which I immediately did. Now I'm concerned that my mastercard will be charged twice for the same item.

I'M a first-time online buyer, so I don't know how this will be handled. Would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Will my M/C be charged x2 if I made purchase through seller site, then seller requested payment via PayPal?

Doesn't make sense to me. Both payments are processed through PayPal as the seller does not have a direct merchant account.(unless somehow ,seller rejected first). A rejected payment would be credited back.

Watch your card account. If 2 , ask seller to refund one . If necessary , an item not received dispute could be opened in PP resolution center to recover one.

With a PP account you should not process guest payments. Difficult to file claims if necessary.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Depending on how this resolves..a chargeback can be done on the guest payment by calling the 800# on card back. PP or credit card but not both.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I'm wondering if the first actions were actually asking you to register for Paypal, which includes giving PP your credit card number.

PP anonymizes the credit card, so the seller never sees your financial information.

On the other side of the process, PP handles online payments for sellers who do not have merchant credit accounts.

Then with your PP account in place, you were asked to pay for the item.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply