Would anyone mind giving me an opinion on this? (shipping info)

I've been trying to rework the look and sound of my auctions listings.

I'm kind of stuck on my shipping section right now. I've added a few Canadian flags into my listings hoping to get the point across about being in Canada without repeating it a hundered times. 🙂

Anyway, here is the wording I thought about using. Am I sounding too negative regarding DSRs? What if anything should I leave out.

Constructive criticism always welcome.

Thanks!
Shari

DELIVERY TIME APPROXIMATES:

U.S. destinations:
Airmail (app.1 week)
Surface mail (app.2-3 weeks)

Canadian destinations:
Expedited or Xpresspost (app. 1 week)

Outside of North America:
Airmail only (app. 1-2 weeks)

__ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _ __ _

*Was the shipping charge 5 star reasonable?*
*Did the seller charge more than the actual shipping cost from CANADA?*
Let me know!

*Was the handling/shipping time very 5 star reasonable?*
*Was the item shipped within 24 hours of receiving payment? (check the postmark).*
Let me know.

Due to ebay's new feedback seller-ratings rules, I need to address these very important points. Please, before leaving a star rating consider a couple of things:

**REGARDING SHIPPING TIME: Your package will leave my hands within 1 day of your payment, after that it is up to the Post Office and Canada/U.S. Customs how quickly it gets delivered to you.
**REGARDING SHIPPING COST: Please be aware that the Canadian postal system is more costly than USPS. The shipping cost you are seeing in this listing is the actual (or less than actual) cost to ship this item. I do not charge anything for my time or shipping supplies.

Please remember when leaving detailed seller ratings that ebay does not consider even 4 stars to be positive. If you feel you cannot leave 5 stars in a category please contact me so that I can help you and better learn to serve my customers.

Thank you so much for your interest in my listings.

Good luck with your bidding and have an awesome 5 star day!!!
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

bare_bright
Community Member
That's fine perhaps add that there is no Postal service on weekends in Canada, a lot of Americans don't know that

I even had a few who would not believe it
For ever item I ship I have a email sent from seller

manager regarding the Shipping Time and NO POSTAL ON WEEKENDS AT ALL

always try to have that on the first lines since we all know buyers don't like to read

just my Thoughts 🙂
T.J.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

1) shari
Canadian flags are always good, but buyers look at the item location, ship to destinations and shipping cost at the top of every listing and decide if they are still interested or not. There's no point in being redundant, the less a buyer has to read, the happier they are because they can read more listings. Fill out the shipping info when you do the listing and the buyer will have all the info they need at the top of every listing to decide if they are going to sift through a detailed description or move on. "LESS IS MORE"

It will be 1-3 weeks from the time you ship, to the time the buyer receives the item, do you really think anything you say in the listing will matter 3 weeks later when the buyer is doing the feedback ?

Buyers are not going to reread a listing unless they are unhappy about the purchase and are double checking the description to see who's fault that is, so at the end of the day you just come off as whiney and desperate by begging for DSR's, assuming anyone reads that part in the first place... If you want to persue better buyer DSR's I suggest you put something in the package rather than clutter up the listing, money and candy seem to work best 😄
I've also had good luck by using collectable stamps to post the package, you need them to be themed with your business category, so go beat the crap out of Pierre for a quantity purchase at face value :^O
I looked at having my own stamps made, but that was even more expensive than Pierre :-x

As an avid buyer, I am buying on eBay less and less all the time because I can get better deals on new merchandise from full time businesses that have some sort of internet access, and many times that is just an email address. I have also grown tired of slogging though 6 page listings that only have 2 lines of description of an item and the rest is all terms conditions shipping returns etc etc etc.

Your one line regarding shipping times is misleading. Expedited and XpressPost are 2 totally different services with radically different guarantees. Basicly, "Expedited Parcel" is the same as "Regular Parcel" with tracking, there's really nothing expedited about it, which is why the cost is identical :_| Presumably a high percentage of buyers select the less expensive expedited service, so it's more important to let them know it won't show up quickly to US destinations.

Here are the standard lines that appear on my high value listings, they are immediately below the description, centre justified wit the first one in red, and there are is no other content other than the pictures and the prefilled shipping data.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Auction is open to members having a confirmed Paypal shipping address.

Paypal Checkout Required

Payment due within 3 days of close of auction

Flat rate shipping to the USA with insurance is $19.99

Canadian and US residents may upgrade to Expesspost for an additional $10.00

US residents should expect US customs to take up to 4 weeks to inspect non express items for contraban.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my paper items, the description consists of a preformatted table with the key data and a picture, nothing else. Sometimes those will have a link to the local historical society's web site.

Occasionally I will auction something with the proceeds going to the local historical society. The last one got them 200.oo for an item that I would have gotten 10 bucks. It's important to support charitable and/or non profit organisations that promote or service your SIG.

Basicly what I'm trying to tell you is that you should not try to influence buyers into giving you higher DSRs and that you will get higher DSRs by not treating buyers as if they were cows you milk for DSRs. If you spend your time working on your business and ignoring feedback completely, you'll probably end up happier. Think of feedback like a lottery ticket, it would be nice to get some, but you don't expect it 🙂

2) rockyeb
Canada Post is a 24/7 operation, I ship from my local postal outlet 7 days a week, which has 5 collections per day because it is a busy outlet, so although there are no business/residential deliveries on Sat/Sun, that has nothing to do with when you can ship and when the buyer will receive the item. Check with your local Postal Outlet for current hours of service as well as current pickup times at the 3 closest mail boxes.

HotTip #37
If you go to an actual Postal Outlet to ship, try not to have auctions end close to a long weekend because the Postal Outlet can't open on stat holidays B-)
If you ship a lot to the US, you should be aware of their stat holidays as well because you don't want your parcel showing up at the border Friday and then not presented to Customs until Tuesday.
Never ship anything during a week that is bracketed by a US holiday on one weekend and a Canadian holiday the next, or vice versa :_|
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

dagr8_renaud
Community Member
heh , this threae resemble mine but with diffrent input 🙂

Shari :

The general answer I have been given by ppl on this board about informing potential buyers about how we are limited with shipping options in Canada ( btw it really affects my sale price and sale amount, not to mention my DSR of course ) is KISS , it pissed me off but in a way it s kinda the way to go.

About a week after a sell I remind my buyer (sometimes twice):
_ Real shipping cost is located on the package so they can verify when they receive it
_I don' t make money on shipping
_I ask them to check the leavingfeedback.com link BEFORE leaving feedback ( dunno if I can paste that here )

ampurtle :

'Auction is open to members having a confirmed Paypal shipping address.'

my turn to help

If you are a PowerSeller you qualify for Paypal' s extented seller protection witch allow you to ship to unconfirmed address with full protection . that really helped my business grow for obvious reasons .
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Good morning Shari

I strongly believe in K.I.S.S.

Potential buyers are bombarded with information. Keep it useful, informative and positive, always positive. .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Paypal protection is a bad joke... the only people Paypal protect are themselves. Scam artists know exactly how to beat the system and gaurantee that the other party gets screwed and not them, which allows PayPal to wash their hands of the matter.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks everyone!!!

I know I posted this a few days ago and I was so happy to see some responses today.

I've been working with the seller outlook people at ebay and 2 of the 3 people I've dealt with told me it is my responsibility as the seller to educate the buyers about DSR's. The last guy really liked my shipping section. LOL.

I was worried the last part was too needy and negative sounding but he assured me it was fine.

I actually trust you more than the ebay guys so maybe I'll re-work it yet again.

ampturtle, I always thought it was better to share how long delivery could take to the U.S. rather than have them assume it is the same as USPS. Many buyers forget its coming from Canada and when they re-read the listing they usually pick up on the 2-3 week delivery time and calm down.
Also the Expedited and Xpresspost delivery time is for Canadian destinations not U.S. I've actually changed it a bit and wrote "2-10 days depending on Canadian location."

Some changes I've made recently seem to be helping. My DSRs have steadly risen the last couple of weeks. Presently I'm 4.9 across the board!!!! I've been adding a thank you note where I had write the date they've paid and the date I've shipped and ask them to contact me if there are any problems. Also on the outside of the envelope I'm circling the date (I use paypal shipping) and write down the actual cost of shipping. Maybe it's a fluke, but I seem to be getting some results now.

Thank you everyone for all your advice over these last few months. I really like that we can help each other out and not worry about competing with each other for sales.

Shari
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Why waste time adding section after section to your listings that most people won't read anyway? Most bidders don't even read the description, let alone shipping details. Just advertise your item accurately and pack safely and quickly and all will be OK. I don't put any kind of monologue about shipping in my listings and I have 99.9 percent feedback and qualify for discounts, 7 months into Ebay's failed experiments with DSR's and forced free shipping.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply