Would you ship airmail for $11.75 or Expedited-USA for between $12 and $15 ?

aabros
Community Member
I have a big dilemma here and I really hope you can help me out here.

I was wondering if I should ship all my jerseys (all under 1kg but some valued up to $150 USD) airmail for $11.75 or Expedited-USA for between $12 and $15 ?

I need to see the delivery standards, and which one is "faster" and "safer".

I have had more than 5 cases of delayed or "lost" or "not received" parcels since Dec. 1st.

Thanks for your help guys
Anthony
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

The rate seemed so high, I had to go and check the Canada Post rates and my rates for UPS.

Wow!

Some UPS rates are cheaper for air and very close to surface.

I am going to go through all the rates and see which way to ship.

As for your question, expedited for 12 is a no brainer as you get tracking and faster service. For the value of goods, I would ship expedited when the value is high, and when I need the faster service.

With the volume you have, you may want to ask for a better rate from Canada Post.

Angelo
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

sunset_sports_cards
Community Member
I would go Expedited simply for the tracking and insurance. It is called CYA!
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
reliable-quality: CP told me I have the best deal possible, according to the volume I have...

Maybe put $19.99 USD flat and ship all my goods Priority Mail to the USA? (Xpresspost USA). And $14.99 USD flat Expedited parcel within Canada with signature. I am really thinking about doing this.
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
Here it is:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Due to unforeseen and uncontrollable variables in external shipping services, we are obliged to offer you the following 3 shipping methods. This will enable us to provide you with a more accurate and reliable delivery service. Please note that there will be no exceptions to this shipping update.

USA: USPS Priority Mail -- $19.99 USD
Delivery within approximately 3 to 5 business days. Insurance included. We will provide you with a tracking number.

Canada: Canada Post Expedited -- $14.99 USD
Delivery within approximately 1 to 7 business days. Insurance included. We will provide you with a tracking number. A signature will be required upon delivery.

International: Canada Post Airmail -- $24.99 USD
Delivery within approximately 7 to 21 business days. Tracking and insurance are not available to Overseas destinations.
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Remember that the "tracking" for USA is virtually useless at least until the package is declared "lost".

Ben

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
Please tell me what you think of the "shipping update" I have created... above.

Maybe I should put Canada Expedited and USA Expedited only available for a flat $14.99 USD. ?

I am scared that people will not buy from my auctions if shipping is flat $19.99 USD and no other choices are being offered...

Thx Anthony
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

I don't have enough experience with EX or XP to the USA to comment on delivery times. I can say that I have had very few problems with Air Small Packets, NEVER having lost one out of at least 2500 sent.

Looking at your current listings, all would be covered by Small Packet insurance, I've only filed one claim (sent to Germany) but it was very easy and fast (but you have to wait 60? days from mailing to file).

Personally the $19.99 would scare me away, I think if you offer a premium shipping service you should also offer a lower price option (but probably not the other way). For the under $80 items at least why don't you offer a "basic" service (small packet) and a "premium service" with tracking (either EX or XP). In general I would expect that SP-Air is faster than EX depending on the destination.

Other things about your "new TOS"...

Canada - Do you really insist on a signature on delivery? That's a pain, my postman would drop off a package with a jersey but I'd have to go to a postal outlet to pick it up if a signature was required.

International - Is that small packet? if yes then US$80+ is insured

USA - Like I said above, 20 bucks is pretty steep.

And trash the "Important Update" it is somewhat negative and sounds like you are trying to justify excessive shipping & handling (which you are not...but going in that direction).

Ben

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
thanks for your tips Ben
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

aabros;

I agree with Ben on the negative aspects of the note.

As for the US, I would offer 2 rates. One for slow service and one for expedited. But ship expedited anyway.

19.99 seems too high.

Angelo
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
Thanks Angelo for the info
I just got my first neg today over this newbie claiming he never received his parcel. How sweet is that?
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

The only feedback he left was for you and negative. Didn't even leave for sellers leaving him a negative.

Strange. At least it was withdrawn.

Angelo
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
Yes it's just been withdrawn after my request. Maybe another seller using the account to "spy" or "ruined" other people's account. Anyway, he said he never got the item and I filed a claim with CP today...
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

**niko***
Community Member
Actually Airmail is faster than expedited. Try it and you'll see. You also get $100 insurance with a small packet - same as expedited. You get tracking so you can watch your package sit in Customs.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
What do you mean "You get tracking so you can watch your package sit in Customs." There is no tracking with airmail, but there is with expedited yes.

I have had about 3 missing packages since early December, I am fed up now, switching operations to UPS.
Message 15 of 28
latest reply

funkywatch_com
Community Member
From my experience, Small Packet Airmail is faster and more reliable than Expedited when shipping to the US. The only advantage is that you do get a tracking number, but I've seen quite a few delayed or lost packages when shipping that way, resulting in mostly unhappy customers. (BTW Expedited Parcel is a surface service) I now offer Small packet Airmail (automatically insured) and Xpresspost to the US.

On the other hand, within Canada the Expedited Parcel service is extremely reliable and fast, and still affordable...
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
thanks for the tip funky but we switched to UPS ]:)
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

akide
Community Member
how does CP track down that the item sent via small packet air has been lost? that's the one thing I'm scared about whenever I ship with small packet air service. If the item never reaches it's destination it could take weeks for them to offer me a refund and the 'insurance' charges for the missing item, anyone have any CP experiences with getting their refund back?
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
1. They will ask you to wait at least 30 once shipped.
2. You need to call them at 1-800-260-7678 and tell them
the parcel has not been received by consignee
3. They will mail you a claims form
4. You need proof of purchase, receipt from CP, proof of
value and valid consignee's address
5. If the item is valued under $100 they will contact
you by either phone or mail with an update on your
claim. If they will pay it, you will receive a cheque
in the mail 14 days after the claim is received. If
it is denied for X reason, they will contact you once
again, by either phone or mail.
6. Good luck. Once you filed 2 or 3 small packet losses
they start telling you "Sir you should use on of our
traceable services as I can see that this is not your
first claim in the past year" (Funny, isn't it?)

Anthony 😄
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Have only filed one claim, did not call until 30 days had passed. Total time from claim filed to cheque received was 9 days.

Seemed very easy but I expect if you file a lot of claims they may look into it a bit more closely.

Ben

Message 20 of 28
latest reply