Wynne/McGuinty hydro rates on the rise Nov 1st

valve37
Community Member

This takes place every 6 months and is in keeping with the Wynne/McGuinty green energy policy. So don't be fooled when these increases are announced, they are semi annual increases not annual.

"effective Nov. 1 for householders and small businesses who buy direct from the utility."

What? We're picking up the share that should apply also to large businesses? BCE, Toyota, Honda, Cami etc for examples?  

Ontario hydro rates will rise Nov. 1

Expect your electricity bill to go up $2 a month or more starting in November.

The Ontario Energy Board has announced new hydro prices effective Nov. 1 for householders and small businesses who buy direct from the utility.

The biggest increase is during peak periods, which in winter are on weekdays from 7 to 11 a.m., and from 5 to 7 p.m.

The peak rate will jump 0.5 cents a kilowatt hour (kwh), to 14 cents a kwh – an increase of 3.7 per cent.

Off-peak rates will increase 0.2 cents a kwh to 7.7 cents a kwh. That’s a jump of 2.7 per cent. Off-peak rates are weekdays from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., and all day on weekend and holidays.

Mid-peak rates will also rise 0.2 cents a kwh to 11.4 cents a kwh, an increase of 1.8 per cent. Mid-peak periods are weekdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The new rates apply only to the energy portion of the hydro bill. Delivery and administration charges are not affected.

The energy board says that for a typical household using 800 kwh of electricity a month, the new rates will increase the monthly bill by $2.03.

The new rates apply only to households who buy their electricity directly from the utility. They don’t affect those who buy through an energy retailer.

About 94 per cent of electricity consumers buy their power direct from the utility.

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1185884/ontario-hydro-rates-will-rise-nov-1/

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Valve do you buy your electricity from Ontario Hydro?  Of course not.

94% of Ontarians do not.  Only 6% are affected.

The new rates apply only to households who buy their electricity directly from the utility. They don’t affect those who buy through an energy retailer.

About 94 per cent of electricity consumers buy their power direct from the utility.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Does your hydro utility in Belleville pass the new rates on to Bellevillians? Or do they just suck it up? London Hydro passes it on.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Owned.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Every time I see a thread complaining about Ontario Hydro rates I can't help thinking back to the Harris Gov't that started it all.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@disisus wrote:

Every time I see a thread complaining about Ontario Hydro rates I can't help thinking back to the Harris Gov't that started it all.

What would you have done with the extremely massive debt accumulated by Ontario Hydro ?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It's the Liberal's green energy act that is driving rates higher Les and will continue to do so. When property owners accept wind turbines and solar panels on their property for outrageous kwh rates the rest of us have to pay for that in our energy bills. The cleaner nuclear like the Bruce generating station where the Liberals have turned down units would have avoided the outrageous rates we now have.  

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The gas plant that the Liberals paid  about a billion dollars for NOT building would have provided  clean power  where it was needed  without the added expense of another billion for transmission lines.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

A bit of history would not hurt:

September 2009: Ontario Power Authority announces it has accepted TransCanada’s bid to build a 900-megawatt natural gas-fired power generation facility in southeast Oakville.

Dec. 11, 2009: Fast-growing Citizens for Clean Air coalition in Oakville steps up opposition to the project with campaign slogan: ‘It just doesn’t make sense.’

October 1, 2010: Opponents of proposed Oakville gas plant bring in famed American environmental activist Erin Brockovich to speak against building the project so close to homes and schools.

While the Liberal Party was in power and made the decision to build then cancel the construction of the plant, it should be noted that both the provincial Conservative Party and NDP agreed with the Citizens for Clean Air to building the plant and requested such cancellation.  Should they not share some of the blame?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

No, for it was the Liberals with the purse strings.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply