anyone else think US and other NAto countries should have just left well enough alone

I mean Crimea was part of Russia 1954 and earlier ... CRimea is made up of mostly Russians Today so for the most part They wanted to become part of russia again ...

I mean Looking at everything from Putins point of view they have not really broken any law as of yet (EVen though the Western Media and presidents and PM are all making it out to be that way it's not so cut and dry as they make it seem....

Sure maybe it was not the best move but it was a movie that most of Crimea wanted anyways .....

Honestly Putin is no saint and Russia is now yet a power house but Putin has done for Russia what no other leader have done for Canada or the US .. I mean Putin has turned Russia into a power house and although much of the cuontry is still very poor they have come a long way ...

I think Ukraine ever joining NATO is such  bad movie .. Ukraine nd Georgia have both been denied becoming part of NATO but have been told they will eventually be allowed in ... THAT IS A HORRIBLE MOVE .....

I mean now instead of Russia just helping the people of Crimea everything is getting Very messy now that NATO is involved and it getting worse then better thus far ..

I mean Russia and China are not all up in our lands and waters so why is US EVERYWHERE  right now like literally everywhere ...

I maybe one of the few who pay attention to this stuff but This all strikes me as just a power play by the US to once again let the world know they are in our backyards and not to be messed with no matter where you live in this world ...

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

anyone else think US and other NAto countries should have just left well enough alone

Wasn't the Crimea full of Kurds that were forced to leave or exterminated at one time?

Message 2 of 58
latest reply

Yes.

Someone said, may have been Ron Paul, that US meddling in Ukraine crisis is like Russia's meddling in Puerto Rico political status referendum.

USA entered many sovereign countries to "protect their interests" and it became normal (which isn't). Then Americans set their eyes on Savastopol base, historically always been Russian even if it was part of Ukraine, Russians leased it. Americans taking over this naval base was unacceptable, so Russia knee-jerked and annexed Crimea.

Comparable situation - Guantanamo, technically Cuban territory but has 100yr lease from US. Castro tried to get Americans out of Cuba and according to stories he never cashed US lease payments but Americans remained despite all his efforts. Imagine if Castro decided to evict and seek Russian help with prospect that Guantanamo would become Russian military base afterward. This is few miles from US, last time Russian submarine was visiting Havana, Americans were hysterical.

On another hand, Putin has more to loose than gain from this, because he opened Russias border for discussion by the precedent.  There is couple border areas where other nationalities live and they might wish to cease from Russia.

USA is trying to maintain world hegemony, but their time is up, Putin gave them the finger. And in my own opinion in event of open war NATO vs Russia, NATO will disintegrate because many `me too`members will simply refuse or cannot afford to fight Russia. Also Russians are not Arabs, they will not be sending small groups of terrorists to America, they will send Red Army, maybe even take Kim's army along who will probably fight for food and will not stop until they reach White House coming from West coast.

Message 3 of 58
latest reply

Btw. don't take me wrong, Russians are not my favorite people, but Americans were asking for this. And if they are not smart enough and continue to irritate the hornet nest, whatever happens, well ... considering what became of USA in the last 20yrs perhaps regular working class folks would be better off as citizens of Russian colony 🙂 Just kidding, Russians practically live in modern day feudalism.

Message 4 of 58
latest reply

Why does Canada recognize the leader of Ukraine who  seized power in an illegal coup yet they will not recognize a vote in Crimea to join Russia.

Message 5 of 58
latest reply

"Why does Canada recognize the leader of Ukraine who  seized power in an illegal coup yet they will not recognize a vote in Crimea to join Russia."

Because the current prime minister of this country is an idiot.  His only agenda is to get the most votes possible for his party.  He feels that being strongly and openly anti-Russian, anti-Communist will gain some votes. 

Logic, fairness and reason have nothing to do with it.  It is all dirty politics as usual.

Message 6 of 58
latest reply

@nuvistors wrote:

Why does Canada recognize the leader of Ukraine who  seized power in an illegal coup yet they will not recognize a vote in Crimea to join Russia.

First of all we don't have all the info. Some say the vote in Crimea was under barrel of a gun. Others say the current Ukrainian government hired US mercs to kill civilians from the roofs to spike conflict. How do attribute your sympathies where both parties are crooks? Well, Canada has always been sucking up to USA so choosing side was easy.

Message 7 of 58
latest reply

Putin reminds me of a guy back in the late 30's and into the 40's.  He had a moustache.  He thought every country around him should belong to his country as their were a few Germans living there.  I think his name was Adolph.

I suspect that Putin's ultimate goal is to reform the USSR.  As far as the Russians are concerned, they would like to become the super power that they used to be.   Regardless, Harper will make lots of noise but take no action. 

I think Canada should stay out of world affairs and not try to be the policeman to the world - Obama already has that job.

Message 8 of 58
latest reply

However Puck looks like Obama has dropped the ball in the Middle East. Syria, Iraq and Iran combined could become a super power if left unattended to ISIS. Which religious faction does one support in a relgious war?
"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 9 of 58
latest reply

Valve - anyone with half a brain could have predicted that the interference of the U.S. and other countries in Iraq and the interference in Afghanistan was only a temporary setback in the future of these countries.  Once the foreign powers backed away from the conflict, it was only a matter of time before these countries returned to their original feuding ways.  Obama was faced with an American populace that had lost its taste for foreign wars and was tired of losing its sons and daughters in an un-winnable conflict. 

Message 10 of 58
latest reply

Yeah no Russia still has a very long way to go to even come close to being able to fight the US right now .. Russia could and most likely will one day be able to squash anyone but the US is way superior in every which way except for Nukes...

US spend more on Military everything then all countries combined... There fleet and equipment in everything.. Army navy marine are 10 to 100 times bigger then Russia ...  Russia has people with guns but the US has soldier with guns...

US will never fight russia though because if you back Russia into a corner helllllllllloooooooooo nukeeeessssssssss ......

Chin will neer fight with either russia or US so that is not a Worry because China hates Russia too even though they do busines together the US it still the heavy wieghts for Chinese Exports so China would never bite the hands that feed them ,,,,

Russia and putin ar ein a very bad spot right now ...

My opinion now is nothing will start a war unless US starts allowing Russia bordering countries such as finland and Sweden in the Nato ....

If you ever have time google a comparison of let just say war equipment US compared to Russia it's crazy how much the US has ...

As for Harper it's like a mouse yelling at a cat... IDIOT

Message 11 of 58
latest reply

puckstopshere wrote:
Putin reminds me of a guy back in the late 30's and into the 40's. He had a moustache. He thought every country around him should belong to his country as their were a few Germans living there. I think his name was Adolph.

List of US military interventions:

http://www.globalpolicy.org/us-military-expansion-and-intervention/26024-us-interventions.html
http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz/interventions.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States

List of Russia's interventions after WW2:

Czechoslovakia (1968–1991)
Afghanistan 1979–1989

brandeentertainment wrote:
US will never fight russia though because if you back Russia into a corner helllllllllloooooooooo nukeeeessssssssss ......

For almost 69yrs US remains the only country that ever used thermonuclear bomb against civilians:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

On one hand we have Kosovo that was taken by USA from Serbia by force, on another hand is Autonomous Republic of Crimea that seceded from Ukraine by referendum and then taken over by Russia without a gunshot. On one hand USA that seems to intervene all over the world leaving a blood trails everywhere, on other hand Russia that had handful of interventions in adjacent countries directly affecting their domestic interests. Where is Russophobia coming from?

In my opinion Canada has nothing to fear from Russia. If anything, there may be some friction over North Pole but Russia has no interest in current Canadian territory unless Canada pokes them, then we are fair game.

Message 12 of 58
latest reply

Pierre how are you, always find your post interesting. I did reply..... But I see it's gone. All the best to you
Message 13 of 58
latest reply

Re: anyone else think US and other NAto countries should have just left well enough alone

Yes.

Message 14 of 58
latest reply

Re: anyone else think US and other NAto countries should have just left well enough alone Yes. No, that would be waiting until it comes upon our shores and then too late.
"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 15 of 58
latest reply

Considering Crimea annexation had no deaths, while Iraq occupation took between 100k-1M lives (depending who did survey), I would pragmatically prefer to be occupied by Russia than by NATO forces.

Message 16 of 58
latest reply

As Canadians we have to ask ourselves on how we should move forward as a country.

US is at war with somebody all the time. This Russia/Ukraine isnt an isolated thing. If isnt them, they will be in the middle east, asia or south america. US is always in the middle of something. 

Do we want to include ourselves in that?. If we do then we better understand the consequences of that position. That means WAR most of the time. You have to remember, we arent US or UK. They have been armed to the teeth since WW2. Their economy and military is built to go to war. We are an infant compared to them.

Russia isnt Iraq/Afghanistan. We need to realize that Russia has strong ties to China. They will not stand and watch Russia get teamed up on if it gets serious.

Message 17 of 58
latest reply

Things have changed alot sense I first posted this and it is no longer just about Crimeria so my opinion has changed but Crimea has nothing to do with our shores because Russia is our neighbor if anything is going to happen with us it will be over the Artic .... This whole thing has gone wild now and personally I think NAto need to spank Russia and anyone who has paid attention and know russian history knows now is time for an Economical spanking to Russia... Not war because Nukes is something russia would use ... I feel bad for the Mothers of russian soldier and for the russians who see past there own 100% controlled Media everyone too scared to speak up because in russia that equals jail time... Well it will be interesting to see how Russia reacts to new sanctions tomorrow ..
Message 18 of 58
latest reply

Killing one group or terriorist only to have another rise up does not seem like a good investment nor a good reason to tell 1000's of American Children your mummy and daddy are dead.... All they need to do is train and equip goverment forces and if they keep leaving the weapons behind and running like they did at the start of this then o well there own fault.. The US is finally doing it right and waiting for Iraq to say please help us ... Syria leader even said if you do not have approval from us then it is an act of aggression so the US will wait for them to ask.... I say Let Europe deal with there neighbors this time .... Canada well Canada needs to put every penny they can into the Military starting now... Not to send everyone world wide but to start turning Canada into a country that can protect it's borders and not just the 10% that is protected now.... China for the first time in history said something I agree on ... Artic should be for everyone .... There are 5 countries right now trying to claim rights to it and that is not good nor will it end up good .... Canada has a whopping 150 troops in the Artic the Russians have about 100 times mopre then that
Message 19 of 58
latest reply

I would say NAto instead of Russia ... Russia Annexed Crimea easily because over 90% was Ethnic russians ... You can not even and in anyways shape or form compare what you are comparing it just makes no sense ....
Message 20 of 58
latest reply