anyone know by hand if a tshirt fits in an oversized lettermail?

meetoo121
Community Member

Hello guys, 

i'm just wondering does anyone know by hand if a Tshirt fits in the 2cm slot for oversized letter mail? 

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Since t-shirts use different materials of different weight and thickness, only you have the answer.

Put your t-shirt into an envelope and check the thickness.

Your choice: you can go to the postal station and ask them to put the envelope through the "slot" or, better still, build your own "slot" with cardboard. I did a very long time ago.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

I just sent 2 T-shirts oversized lettermail but it all depends on the size and weight of the T-shirt your selling....

BB would be able to answer this one for you if he comes around

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

Yes, build you own 2 cm slot out of thick cardboard.

I have a friend in the Auto Body business make one for me out of recycled plexi. Took him less than five minutes & all it cost me was lunch. The same place i get my bubble wrap.

Since t-shirts use different materials of different weight and materials, only you have the answer.  

Pierre, is right. T Shirts are weird animals. Depends on the Era & the Manufacturer.

Gildan, Anvil, Artimonde & American Apparel are known to use lighter materials.

Tenneesee River, Hanes are known to use heavier material. Gildan  is now introducing a " Gildan Heavyweight " line along with their regular product.

Check the labels, but keep in mind manufacturers such as American Apparel have introduced tearaway labels. They are usually missing on sale product.

As you gain more experience, it you aren't experienced already, you will be able to tell the weight without a scale.

Try to ship using Poly Mailers, that will definitely help. Sometimes you will be able to ship Light Packet, though the majority will ship Small Packet Air.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

meetoo121
Community Member

Well I have a few DC shirts That I would like to send.

and making your own slot is an awsome Idea. 

just becuase if it doesn' fit in the slot it costs like 12 dollars to shirt a Tshirt...  In canada.. 

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

My PO gave me an old plexi mail thingee. They were getting new ones and she said "Do you want this".

BB, you get free bubble wrap? That stuff is like gold in the 'Peg.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

If the shirt is thin enough, and you don't use a bubble envelope, it might go as a Light Packet. Hard to say, but I'm guessing you might have to ship it Small Packet Air to outside of Canada, or Expedited for within Canada if using online Paypal shipping, or Regular Parcel for within Canada if shipping at post office.

I wanted to make my own "slot", and thought of using cardboard, but thought the cardboard would get bent eventually making it not accurate? Wish I had one.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

Fold the shirt as flat as you can. Put it in a kitchen zip lock back. Roll it up tight to get all the air out and zip it up. Flatten it out and tape it to a stiffener so it doesn't shift. A manila folder or back of a cereal box works. Then put it in a slippery poly mailer. They slide through the slot easier than the paper ones. 

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

To be honest Inuk, i don't get a lot of it, just enough to cover the few items i need to wrap. They usually need most of it to rewrap parts being sent back to the distributor.

Check out an an Autobody in your area. I think there is one at Watt & Johnson.

Poly mailers are the best for our items.

Didn't someone say one time the templates are available for sale through Canada Post ?

Maybe they are available through Office Supply Stores. Not sure.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

meetoo121
Community Member

But do you think the poly mailers, fit through the Slot?? 

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

Depends on the thickness & the weight of the shirt.

In my experience i would say about 20% slide through, but of course i'm can only speak for my items.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

pre-ownedbrands
Community Member

I send lots of t-shirts light packet and oversized letter. Always in a ploy envelope. I have never had a problem. $3 to $6 shipping in Canada and USA.

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

meetoo121
Community Member

How do you fit the T-shirt in the 2cm slot..

I just tried and it wont fit.. 

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

ninth89
Community Member

I think it sounds like you need a bigger envelop. Try getting one to the max dimensions allowed for oversized lettermail, which is 38cm x 27cm x 2cm.

I have a questions about oversized lettermail.

Can I ship Blu-rays in hard cases via lettermail to the U.S. It's under 2cm and I usually ship them via Light Packet which seems like the same thing as lettermail. 

However whenever I try to buy postage for oversized lettermail the CP agent always says it has to go via Light Packet.

I thought we were allowed to ship cd/dvd/blu-rays in oversized lettermail.

The difference is $1.73, but if you're shipping alot it adds up.

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

Letterpost is for non-goods. Light Packet is for goods. Light Packet has a customs form to declare the value of the goods sold.

Your DVD/CD are goods sold so they are supposed to go Light Packet.

Many sellers send using the Letterpost option because it is cheaper and it is easy to get away with it.

Canada Post counter workers will ask what is the contents if you have them weigh and put on the postage. Usually they ask if it is paper (not goods) but even paper can be goods (comic book, magazine, manual).

Get your own stamps and a postal scale and put on the correct postage and drop in the corner mailbox or in the mailbox in the store.

Message 15 of 42
latest reply

pre-ownedbrands
Community Member

I use the 40cm x 30cm E-Bay poly envelope, place the neatly folded shirt in the bag. Seal the bag then sit on it to compress all of the air out. Finnaly I fold the envelope tight to the shirt on one edge and one end so it will meet the size requirements and so the shirt doesn't slide down and bunch up in the bag.

Hope this helps.

Drop me an email if you need more help

Kathy

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

ninth89
Community Member

Oh, so you can send DVDs via oversized lettermail within Canada, but not to the U.S...

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

meetoo121
Community Member

Where can I purchase the Ebay Poly envelopes?? 

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

meetoo121
Community Member

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

meetoo121
Community Member

Message 20 of 42
latest reply