buyer protection plan is **bleep** if you have to send back to china

twice now I have been burned by China sellers.  This time sending me a PAL camera instead of the NTSC one that I requested.  If I have to send it back to China it would cost me $75 to get tracking, so they have you over a barrel.  Buyer protection does nothing since you can't send the item back.  He is offering half of the money back, so gracious, considering it is their mistake.  Last time I lost all my purchase cost.

I think the protection plan needs to be updated so that if the seller is not sending the item as described, he has to pay for return shipping.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

marnotom!
Community Member

I thought china sellers sold stuff like Royal Albert teapots.

Anyway, I realize it's a little unfair to tar all sellers from a particular nation or region with the same brush, but while I have few qualms about making the odd purchase of a low-valued, semi-disposable piece of electronics from China, at this point in time I'd be extremely hesitant about something more expensive like a video camera.

Although I suppose "more expensive" is a relative term.  You probably got it for a song in the first place.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

The item was not an expensive hd camera, it was just a cheap, $30 this time, camera.  But this is twice now for me,  I would be hesistant to continue buying from dealers that know they can continue doing this kind of action without repercussions.  What will this dealer learn from this?  He can send anything in stock to cover the purchase and not have to worry if it is not the right item, the customer can't return it or get his money back.   American dealers that I have dealt with would send a replacement item out right away in order to keep a good reputation and offer free shipping of the return item or just tell you to scrap it.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If the seller refuse to send a replacement, your only option is to leave feedback and most importantly, DSRs.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

He is offering half of the money back, so gracious, considering it is their mistake.  Last time I lost all my purchase cost.

Is that half back without return? Sounds like a good deal.

Is that half back with return? You would get a better deal by filing the PP dispute, since they would require that he refund your entire original payment, with proof that they have the camera back. This is usually not a useful strategy with overseas sellers.

Or, you could file with the credit card you use to back your PP payments. Not only do they have longer deadlines, typically, but they may only require proof of Shipping not of Delivery. Or not. Phone the 1-800 number and ask.

You can also leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. You can Respond to any feedback, Again the most effective feedback is calm and factual. Remember members, both buyers and sellers, will form an opinion of you based on your feedback. This does nothing for your pocketbook, but it is a relief for your emotions.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It's not really a good deal if you didn't want that particular item in the first place.

dakota....Let's say that ebay required sellers to pay for return shipping whenever a buyer claimed that an item wasn't as described.

How are they going to know for sure if the item really isn't correct or if the buyer didn't read the listing properly or changed their mind

or just didn't like the item even though it was as described?

Ebay would probably assume the buyer was right and require the seller to pay shipping even though they were not at fault and

that wouldn't be fair either.

A good seller should pay for an item's return if they made the mistake however if the seller is overseas, it's very unlikely that they

will be willing to do that.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Oh boy,,,,CHINA AGAIN!!   I fully realize that we have buyers that haven't been on these boards before.....................Do NOT buy anything from China that you think you might have to return - ESPECIALLY ELECTRONICS!  Although, because of crazy shipping costs, my buying has slowed down to zero right now.   But ladies (and maybe guys too) - nearly everything I have bought from there has just been cheap, but REALLY cute clothing, with free shipping of course.  I posted that before ebay I used to buy tops from a small foreign (not Chinese) near me for his "sale price" of apx. $39.99.  EXACT same tops are on ebay at apx. $8 - $10.00 (again free ship.)  These are well made, very fashionable ones (I love fashion) and one of these which I paid $9.00 for is the one I  wore when I was with a friend who wanted to go into Holt Renfrew (I never do) and the SA said she loved it and asked me where I bought it.  I don't care, told her and she wanted the exact Chinese Store which I forgot, she even asked if I could email her - which I did............remember this is a SA in HOLT RENFREW!   My friend had such a good laugh over this we just HAD to go and have a glass of wine!

Buyers who complain about Sterling Silver, etc. for a $4.00 ring from there is not.,925 - HELLO?????  Come ON

I have never once had problems with any buyer in China - in fact they have bent over backwards to be their gracious self.  I remember (only one time) not receiving a jacket - it does take a LONG time to get to me.........buyer sent me a new one right away - then about  a week later I let him know I received the other.  So polite in telling me just keep it.  He even said it's going to cost more to send it back.  So nice, so my niece got  a nice gift.

Much more expensive items I've ordered from U.S. sellers in the past has been (in most  cases) a good experience.  And no, I've never once been nabbed by Customs for anything - including a $300.00 MK watch - although I could be and am always mindful of that - and so should others, especially new ebay buyers.

GSP by US - NEVER, NEVER do I even take a close look at the item.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

A good seller should pay for an item's return if they made the mistake however if the seller is overseas, it's very unlikely that they

will be willing to do that.

no you are right, but they probably could suck it up and refund the price if it is not an expensive item.  lets face it, a $30 security camera  is probably not costing them very much to make.  And I will agree that it would be hard for ebay to know which items are not as described.   

As for selling it is a pal camera, not much use for that here in Canada

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

It's not really a good deal if you didn't want that particular item in the first place.

Actually a suggestion for profitable disposal of the item was removed by the pinks.

Apparently they are not aware of other companies owned by eBay.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The fact that buyers have to return items with tracking waters the Buyer Protection Feature down big time.

It makes most returns unviable when buying Internationally.

It might be OK for Americans buying from Americans (I don't know).

I also have no idea how to fix that.

Returning without tracking is the Kiss of Death.  Partial refunds work sometimes, but not when the item is complete garbage.  I suspect that a lot of the Item Not Received claims were a result of sellers shipping out garbage.

Now, with all the tracked shipping going on we should start seeing a lot more returns.

EBay is also starting to encourage Free Returns much the way it's been promoting Free Shipping.

If that catches on it could be a big problem for Canadian sellers who ship mainly to the States.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I also got screwed from a vendor in China with a cycling outfit. There 3xl is like a large here for a woman or child. Very misleading as they gave you impression outfit was for a Caucasian man. The cost to ship back was also between 60 to 78 dollars. They offered a partial refund to me but did not honour it. So I have taken matters higher up. I am now avoiding vendors from China, and I think ebay should clamp down on these vendors.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Next time file Not Received, which is also acceptable, since you actually did not recieve the item purchased. According to regulations, if someone sends you something you did not purchase, you are not required to pay for it. These regulations were put in place to stop unscrupulous companies send items to people and then demand payment for them.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply