buyer wants refund and refuses to wait for item

Anyone have this problem with a buyer - I sold an item on January 5th, shipped it out January 6th, the item was heading to buffolo NY from Victoria BC in Canada - and Canada Post said it would take about 4 weeks to arrive (the buyer paid for cheapest shipping).  After 2 1/2 weeks they emailed me saying their item hadn't arrived yet, I explained it was on its way and should arrive in the next couple weeks.  3 days later they filed a claim against me saying they hadn't recieved it yet and wanted a refund.  I felt I had no choice but to refund them but am really frustrated. I asked her to send me back the package when it arrives but of course she is now not responding to my messages as she now has her refund. I can assume it will not be returned.  It has made me not want to sell things on ebay anymore, there is just so much protection for buyers (rightly so) but no protection for sellers!!  We aren't even able leave negative feedback!!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I hear you.  Unfortunately, these days you have no choice but to ship all of your items out using tracking numbers.  See if there is a company in Victoria that travels into the USA to ship packages via USPS, for a faster, cheaper service. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You've sold, what?, 27 items in the past year with an average price of about $20.

Does your profit on those sales disappear with this one loss? If so, you are doing it wrong.

Most of my sales are shipped without tracking and I rarely have a loss claim. I do however carry private insurance from Hugh Wood International, through our family business. This is an annual contract meant for dealers and serious collectors and would not be suitable for you.

Many sellers use shipsurance (I'm not sure of the name) who will do one-off insurance of parcels. Many sellers here have been happy with their service.

Or you can use Cookie Jar Insurance, the pet name for including a tiny amount to every asking price, to cover the occasional loss. If you add a whole dime to every price, then one $10 loss in 100 $10 sales still leaves you with $1000 dollars in your pocket.

The problem with using Tracking all the time, unless you are selling products of much higher value than you are, is that you are giving part of your profit to some third party for very little reason.

Don't take it personally, it's just business.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Tracking from Canada to the US starts at around $14.00 and goes up from there. Not very economical. Now with light packet starting at $3.79 which Shipsurance wants as a minimum and insurance staring at $1.50, that is also becoming more uneconomical. Blame Canada Post if shipping from Canada. They gouge you every chance they can.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The BC company doing cross-border shipping is bookstotheborder. I believe they are in Vancouver though.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Im not sure the item that was sold , but i highly recommend using paypal shipping tool and using canada post expedited to USA.  Its fairly cheap , starting at around 15$. Packages are tracked and they wont take 4 weeks for delivery! 

Anything without tracking you take the risk of the package being "lost" and you will have to cover the costs.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply