can i buy something via ebay messages

sulica1
Community Member

I asked a seller if they were willing to let me buy a phone outright without bidding on it because the seller has an extra phone. The phone that I want is not posted on ebay but we're communicating by ebay message. Is it safe to buy it from the seller and if it doesn't come in the appointed time, can I get a guaranteed refund? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

xeposter
Community Member

@sulica1 wrote:

I asked a seller if they were willing to let me buy a phone outright without bidding on it because the seller has an extra phone. The phone that I want is not posted on ebay but we're communicating by ebay message. Is it safe to buy it from the seller and if it doesn't come in the appointed time, can I get a guaranteed refund? 

EEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!
That is an extremely bad idea.

How do you expect to send the seller money for the item?

How do you expect the seller to get your address?

By not using eBay, the seller can easily take your money are not send you the item.

eBay protects buyers when they use eBay. You can read more about it at http://pages.ebay.ca/ebay-money-back-guarantee/.

If you would like to take the Risky Road instead of Safe Street...

If you can somehow get the seller's email address, (users are not allowed to put email addresses in messages) you can send them the money through PayPal. Sending the money through the mail would make it even more complicated. Make sure to supply the seller with your address, and hopefully they will send it to you.

If they don't ever send it, well...you are out the money and the item.

I see why the seller wants to do the deal outside of eBay...they aren't getting charged any fees.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If you managed to go through with this, the seller would be cheating eBay out of a couple of bucks in fees.

How honest do you think he will be with you, if he will cheat on such a tiny amount?

Instead ask him to make you a private listing, describing the phone you have been discussing and using your name (sulica1) as the title, so that only you can find it.

If he is in the USA ask him to give USPS First Class International Parcel as his shipping service, not the Global Shipping Program, but tell hiim that this service gives him Delivery Confirmation on parcels up to 4 lbs.

If he is honest, he will do this. If he is not, he will decide you are too smart and sophisticated to fall for his scam.

If he is not in the USA or Canada  stop communicating immediately.

You will never see your money again.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You've had this ID for almost 2 years with zero feedback.  Have you read eBay's rules for buyers & sellers?  You initiated this, now you want to know if it is safe.  Didn't you think about that before?  This is a bad idea.  You are asking the seller to jeopardize his ability to sell on eBay, and risking your protection as a consumer.  What do you think you are gaining?  Take the advice from "femmefan" and ask for a private listing.  Then read up on your responsibilities as an eBay buyer and start behaving like an adult.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Hello 'sulica', 

<<I asked a seller if they were willing to let me buy a phone outright without bidding on it because the seller has an extra phone.>>

Are you asking for a Buy-it-Now listing as opposed to waiting for an auction for the second phone?  Certainly if the seller has a second phone he can easily put up a listing for you at the price the two of you agree on.  This would be your best option. 

<< we're communicating by ebay message. Is it safe to buy it from the seller >>

Probably, and when a seller sends a paypal invoice it is still "buying", but you would be better off having him put up an ebay listing.  Most sellers prefer this, so if your seller is urging you to use paypal's "Send Money" option, that should raise your eyebrows.  A seller with great items at reasonable prices who is proud of his excellent customer service would not hesitate to put up a listing for you on ebay.  

<< if it doesn't come in the appointed time, can I get a guaranteed refund? >>

No, you do not ever get a guaranteed refund because items do not arrive by the appointed time.  There is no such thing as an "On time or it's free" guarantee.  

If you are inquiring about refunds (not returns, refunds) at this early juncture you are probably making the seller nervous.  He is wondering if he smells a scam.  

If you think the phone may be non-working or locked, do not buy it.  There are loads of sellers on ebay offering first-rate phones that work. 

Moreover, as you have a feedback score of 0 you might like to use every opportunity possible to build up some feedback, that is if you plan to do much bidding and buying on ebay in future.  Sellers are very nervous of zero-feedback users, and some will even remove your bids from their auctions if you have, say, less than 10.  

So if you have the chance to get an item through an ebay listing, you will have all of ebay's and paypal's buyer protections, plus the assistance of ebay's Customer Service (such as it is) and at the same time add to your feedback score.  

Definitely your best option, in my opinion.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Just because I had this ID for 2 years doesn't mean that I used it, that's why it's zero feedback. You don't think I asked the seller that before. The seller didn't want to put it on a private listing. I'm still not sure if I am going to buy it. I did read the rules for buyers and sellers and it doesn't explicitly say anything about my situation.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Sulfa,
Of course the rules would not have that. How many people do you think would want to do what you are asking about?
Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply