change final value fees for used items?

werkea
Community Member

hi people, recently i begin to sell stuff on ebay and when i got final value fees i was quite shocked

when i sold something for 200 i only got 175 that is 10% ebay and 2.5% Paypal 

i know some people does not care because they are brand new and customers have to pay 13% sales tax

but all my stuff are used , i have to pay 13% and another 12% for selling them?

thats not really fair and i see lots of seller leaving because of this and people are switching to CL 

high pricing force people go to amazon as well

ebay really needs to change the policy so people will come back, i can see selling downfall in recent years but i didn't know why until recently.  

a lot of people are just no longer interested in selling on eBay 

10% invoice for brand new and 5-6% on used ones

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: change final value fees for used items?

and then...

everything would be defined as "used"......

eBay has enough problems defining antique, used ,old, new, new with tag, like new... and more...

Ain't gonna hapin!!!

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Contact a local auctioneer..

and ask him to make the same adjustments....

You do not want to have me tell you what he would say..... or tell you where to go... that is to another auction service.....

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

EBay fees are not the biggest service grab around.  Try selling used items on consignment (either  in a B&M store, or online) and you'll be lucky to get away with less than 30% commission.  

No one likes paying fees for services.  However, the real question should be: are you getting value for the fees you do pay?  EBay has worldwide visibility that few other sites can match.  In addition, there are a number of realistic ways to lessen the overall fees you pay to eBay rather than expecting they will divide fees according to "used" and "new".  That will never happen, as 'cumos' said.  You are paying to use someone else's online platform, and a pretty effective someone, so look for areas where you can take advantage of what is offered by this site rather than hoping they will change. 

Some reasonable options that you can make happen to lower your overall fees:  Work up your business to the point where you can benefit from a 20% TRS discount; lower your FVFs by re-arranging your shipping options; take advantage of free listings; source items at a lower initial cost to you; adjust your selling prices; improve your promotional and marketing efforts to increase sales and offset costs; make sure you claim those fees as expenses at tax time, etc. etc.  It's all part of being a good businessperson. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I think this is a wonderful idea! Most of my items are used and sell for much much more than their original prices!

On one of my accounts I have a five cent stamp, used and postmarked, priced at $100!

I think it would be great if I could pay a discounted fee because it is used!!

Even better!!!! I should pay a discounted fee based on the original price in 1927!!

WOW ! Let's do this !! What a GREAT IDEA!

Can't get paid if you crawl away like a bitty little bug neither. I got a share of this job. Ten percent of nothin' is, let me do the math here... nothin' and a nothin', carry the nothin'... - Jayne Cobb

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@werkea wrote:

hi people, recently i begin to sell stuff on ebay and when i got final value fees i was quite shocked

i know some people does not care because they are brand new and customers have to pay 13% sales tax

but all my stuff are used , i have to pay 13% and another 12% for selling them?

thats not really fair and i see lots of seller leaving because of this and people are switching to CL 

high pricing force people go to amazon as well

ebay really needs to change the policy so people will come back, i can see selling downfall in recent years but i didn't know why until recently.  

a lot of people are just no longer interested in selling on eBay 

10% invoice for brand new and 5-6% on used ones

ebay did $51.7 BILLION in the third quarter across all their worldwide platforms. That was up something like 21% from the previous year. If people are leaving, they seem to be leaving their money behind.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@werkea wrote:

Nothing is hidden from a seller. You have to educate yourself on the system BEFORE selling.

So many new sellers think they'll just jump into the deep end and roll around in the money.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

for that i have the solution

as seller we can always review others and as buyers we always check the item condition

for each successful report of false information on an item that is used or new. the reporter gets rewards and seller got warn and add extra fees. 

and no want wants to list their new as used and no seller wants to get fined neither

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Adding another layer of control to eBay  is not going to happen.

eBay has enough to do right now.....  we are talking of dealing with millions of listings....

Who has the time to police this used versus new rule?

Adding this new/used component will result in higher FVF for all items....  and we will be back where we started.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

eBay is a venue for selling used items.

A small percentage of what is sold here is truly "new"

I sell books   and the most valuable books are considered used... mainly because they were published many years ago.

You are asking eBay to put a lower FVF on books ...  close to 7 million listings

Less money for eBay...  and eBay being required to hire more people just to enforce an action  that really has no meaning on eBay.

Why?

Because almost everything sold on eBay is used....

Look at each category  and then the percentage of used items listed in that category

I have found books still in the original plastic as obtained from the publisher... Yet these books do show signs of wear.....    along the edges.... Are they new  or new in a very poor condition 

If you define used as previously owned.... then everything you buy new  has been owned by a company such as Walmart  that is selling that item.

Definitions can go to a very strange level... and all for nothing really gained.....  because

a new versus used definition  

CANNOT..... be enforced...  in a manner that is being proposed by OP.....

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I would highly recommend that OP look at FVF across categories..

OP sells in a category ... computers and accessories ...where the FVF is the lowest of all categories.

and that FVF is too high....  for OP

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

FVF are less when selling with a store.....

Computer   is 4 %  versus 10 % when selling at auction.....

This is getting more and more complicated.....

It is highly recommended that OP do a lot of reading... and then list enough inventory to sell out of a store.....

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@007steveb16 wrote:

Nothing is hidden from a seller. You have to educate yourself on the system BEFORE selling.

So many new sellers think they'll just jump into the deep end and roll around in the money.

I couldn't agree more!  The tools and the information are all there.  The difference between a successful eBay seller and one who struggles and/or constantly gets into trouble, I believe, is effort and knowledge -- especially before starting, but also continuing as your business develops.     

The concept of "building a business" applies here on eBay, just as it does in the 'real world'.  And that takes time and work.  Some new sellers seem to believe that once they've listed a few items, eBay should do all the rest. The OP needs to invest time in studying the "Selling" pages and learning how to take full advantage of what is available on this site.  

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

It was abut two years ago that a new seller to eBay was unhappy because sales were just ... not there.

A look at this seller's store  was a good indicator of why.

The first book  in the store  was listed at $10.00

My best remembrance of this book is that they could not give it away, let alone sell it at a local charity book sale.

Currently there are 1,555 copies of this book on ebay.ca,  with about  125 copies listed at $1.500 or less.

The Book...... Da Vinci code

and the next two books, also listed at $10.00 each were about the same.... too many low priced copies on ebay.

Couple research with knowledge  and then a good understanding of the eBay marketplace  ,  and sales will come.

One has to constantly work and rework the listings on eBay......

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

eBay is a venue for selling used items.

A small percentage of what is sold here is truly "new"

I guess you don't spend much time browsing on eBay!

You and I may sell mostly used items but overall there is much more new stuff on eBay than used.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

You're right Recped, especially in my category.

In my category Pre-Owned is just dead, been that way for just over a year.

The trend has moved to New, Vintage, 70s to 90s, unless the item is very unique.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Ops idea is not completely crazy.  Alibaba/taoboa (doing more transactions as ebay and growing far faster )charge the small time at home sellers less then the business sellers, the opposite of ebay giving the diamonds a deal.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply