defect confusion

linshca
Community Member

Hi, I have a buyer who changed his mind and requested cancellation

I sent a request for cancellation with the reason that buyer changed his mind

its been 8 days and buyer did not respond

I now have the option to close the case myself

If i close the case myself, will I receive a defect?

PS: I think this whole defect system is really confusing and really poorly explained, especially regarding what constitutes a defect when canceling a transaction. I feel like I'm constantly on edge regarding every little thing on ebay because I have no idea what will give me a defect or not, regardless if it is my fault or not.

thank you for reading

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

defect confusion

If you selected the reason "buyer changed his mind", then once you close the cancellation yourself, you shouldn't get a defect.  

However, the key thing is whether the buyer made the request through eBay messages.  If he/she did ask for the cancellation via eBay messages, you should be OK to go ahead and finalize the process since you're past the 7 day limit for the buyer to have done that himself/herself.  

You can check your Dashboard a couple of days after finalizing the cancellation, and if you see a defect (assuming your buyer did use eBay messages to ask for the cancellation), phone Customer Service and see if you can get it removed. 

Remember though that defects won't affect your seller status until you have 8 defective transactions from 8 different buyers.  Still, it is best to keep the defects to a minimum, since most of us are on a 12-month evaluation. 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply