didn't know there was an import charge until checkout. am i still committed to buy?

bbee1461
Community Member

bought a pair of boots for what i thought was a fair price. after clicking "buy now" button, i find there is a 48.00$ import charge on top of the shipping fee. now i"m commited to buy without being aware of total charges. when i make a purchase in the future, it would be nice to know all charges before making comittment to buy.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

didn't know there was an import charge until checkout. am i still committed to buy?

Hi bbee.. Ebay has corrected that deficiency and import charges under ebay's Global Shipping Program are now showing on this site. This will identify US seller who have signed onto the program and can be avoided if you choose.

Keep in mind that canadians can only import to $20 duty and tax free. $180.00 item , it is probable that Customs would assess and Canada Post would collect on delivery if outside the GSP on checkout. I believe duty on yout item is 18% plus taxes for your province which i assume is Alberta. Canada Post charges $9.95 for collecting on behalf of Revenue Canada.

It is true that a good percentage of mail items do slip through with none. (not GSP)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

The short answer is “yes”.

It is expected that buyers will read the listing thoroughly before bidding. However, just as I always seem to end up with a bar of dark chocolate with chili pepper at the supermarket cash register, eBay sets up buyers to miss all sorts of information.

Worst is bidding from a mobile phone. Lots of missing information on those listings. Be careful when you are shopping on mobile. Only bid from a computer.

Contact the seller and explain your problem. Ask for a Mutual Cancellation of the transaction and cite the Global Shipping Program and its undisclosed buyer fees as the source of the problem. Be very polite to the seller and let him know that you realize he may not have been aware of the repercussions of this program to buyers.

BTW, sellers who sign up for the program get a small discount on shipping fees. Pitney-Bowes who run the program get a substantial fee. You pay that fee and also have to put up with delayed shipping, because your item has to go from your seller to a central shipping point, before being sent on to Canada. And of course, PB will definitely charge you for any applicable taxes or duty, while Canada Post is delightfully sloppy about collecting them. Your seller probably is unaware of all this.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi bbee.. Ebay has corrected that deficiency and import charges under ebay's Global Shipping Program are now showing on this site. This will identify US seller who have signed onto the program and can be avoided if you choose.

Keep in mind that canadians can only import to $20 duty and tax free. $180.00 item , it is probable that Customs would assess and Canada Post would collect on delivery if outside the GSP on checkout. I believe duty on yout item is 18% plus taxes for your province which i assume is Alberta. Canada Post charges $9.95 for collecting on behalf of Revenue Canada.

It is true that a good percentage of mail items do slip through with none. (not GSP)

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

The short answer is “yes”.

It is expected that buyers will read the listing thoroughly before bidding. However, just as I always seem to end up with a bar of dark chocolate with chili pepper at the supermarket cash register, eBay sets up buyers to miss all sorts of information.

Worst is bidding from a mobile phone. Lots of missing information on those listings. Be careful when you are shopping on mobile. Only bid from a computer.

Contact the seller and explain your problem. Ask for a Mutual Cancellation of the transaction and cite the Global Shipping Program and its undisclosed buyer fees as the source of the problem. Be very polite to the seller and let him know that you realize he may not have been aware of the repercussions of this program to buyers.

BTW, sellers who sign up for the program get a small discount on shipping fees. Pitney-Bowes who run the program get a substantial fee. You pay that fee and also have to put up with delayed shipping, because your item has to go from your seller to a central shipping point, before being sent on to Canada. And of course, PB will definitely charge you for any applicable taxes or duty, while Canada Post is delightfully sloppy about collecting them. Your seller probably is unaware of all this.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply